GT RTS1 - a bit steep on the starting price

BikePimp":2ci7sfug said:
Earlier frames have a flat plate at the end, later ones went to curved. I'm guessing the change happened around 97 or 98. My 96 RTS Team has a flat plate as does my 92 RTS1 and 91 Zaskar.

Judging by the position of the head tube stiffener under the top tube, that must be earlier than 97 and given that it has the Avalanche style curved top tube closing plate my guess would be that the main frame isn't what it seems. :?

one-eyed_jim":mrasi7ul said:
richwoodham":mrasi7ul said:
Is it just me who distrusts badly spelled listings?
It doesn't create the best impression ... but the guy's got 100% positive feedback on nearly 1300 transactions! You might give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fair point - I hadn't spotted that.

Strange about the 7000 series aluminum sticker, as it does have the Team RTS/RTS 1 version of the rear shock. The reservoir part doesn't have the usual Noleen sticker on it, though.

Might the frame have been cleaned up and some new stickers put on?

Hi chaps, interesting reading your responces to the listing.
Sorry about my spelling (shame that continues to upset people other than my English teachers of yesteryear).
I have LOTS more photo's, including full side shots - email me :idea: if you are interested (ebay only allows 12 shots on a listing).
The Bike is not what seems to be being said here - selling for a friend, I'll ask him for the original reciept.
All the best to one and all but please email me for evidence rather than air such disparaging washing/ opinions in public. Thank you. LM

Attachments

• rts1111.jpg
    rts1111.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,075
Hello again,
I am sitting here with the person who ordered this bike brand new in 1995 from Carritti Sport (GT). He knows this bike back to front having upgraded it throughout it's virtually unridden life and even remmembers the day he sold it. His name is Max and he is the mech at Phoenix Cycles in Eastbourne - call him if you like - Max knows GT Bikes as he was selling them for 15 years untill Halfords took over in 1998. He also has all of the GT brouchers from 1992 - I'll post a scan if you really need this!
The bike IS a genuine RTS 1. Only the 6061 frames had the flat back end (RTS Team/ Zaskar). ALL the 7000 series (original RTS 1's) ALWAYS had the curved backs and as far as we remmember (without checking the brouchers) the alloy 'Team' rear triangle.
All stickers/ decals are original to the bike, while the Noleen's sticker peeled off during a recent time related service at Stendec Ltd (hence appearing different).
As mentioned, please check your facts before posting - I'm a Newbie here and already disappionted.
Thanks. LM

Hi.

I'm a bit confused now.

Acording to all the documentation I can find the RTS-1 had a 6061 frame from the start, only the RTS-2 & 3 had the 7000 series frames.

What is also worrying is that although you say that the decals are original (I'm not suggesting you are not telling the truth by the way) the RTS-1 had blue with a yellow edge decals while the RTS-3 had the white with black outline so the decals on the frame are not matching.

There is something 'not right' about it.

If you do have a copy of the 1995 catalogue with the RTS-1 in (the one I've seen only shows the Team). I'd be really interested in a scanned copy if it's not too much hassle. ;)

Cheers.

I have owned over 20 Aluminium GT's american made and far eastern. All american made bikes have the flat tube extention beyond the seat tube, thats how you could tell them apart and the US bikes are made from 6061 alu.

Yeah yeah yeah . . . Mr.

As a wise man once said: "One may Believe what one would like, but it's not to say one is correct".

FYI; Max has owned over 30 GT's and sold nearer to a 1,000; when he can find a moment, he'll pull the paperwork and broucher for this one.

As for me; I feel insulted and I'm certainly bored - all within 24 hours of joining.

Enjoy life; I've wasted too much of mine here already.

LM.

Back