GT LTS advice

teebsgt

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

First post, loving this site, it is bringing back so many memories - I used to be MTB obsessed as a kid between about 9 - 16! Just recently got back on my bike and getting the bug again! My 1997 black/red flame GT Tequesta FS is all polished again and my new modern toy, a 2009 Avalanche Expert is getting broken in :)

Anyway, like many of you I always lusted over a top-range GT STS or LTS back in the day but want some realistic advice:

What are the main points to watch out for on these, and are there any particular year / model frames or complete bikes to watch out for, or avoid? Whats the going rate for a frame / complete bike?

I've seen quite a few LTS 2000's going on e-bay but I seem to remember these being mid-range? Is the LTS 1000 the top range aluminium bike? Also wahts the diefference between the DS and normal frame, is it extra rear travel?

Finally, is it just the Rock Shox deluxe range of shock that is LTS compatible? How easy to service and maintain are these nowadays?

In general is the LTS still a worthy full-sus bike, other than for nostalgic value?

first the most rear shocks like the coupe deluxe and deluxe are, as far as I know, not servisable.
for the rest the bushings are always a point of care. They are not expnesive but quite hard to get. And the frames should be inspected for cracks.
For extra parts I have some spare parts left for the LTS.

Hi there,

Firstly www.tftunedshox.co.uk can service the rock shock super deluxe shocks easily. Also you can buy a shock from Risse racing that is for LTS/STS brand new(however only gives 4 inches of travel) The super Deluxe will give nearly 6

You do come by replacement shocks, I have two which I have bought over the last month one was brand new and second in bits (which is going to TFtuned) so they do come up.

All replacement bearings, trunion, rear end linkage can be bought from www.betd.co.uk

I have just built one and love it I rides well was out yesterday and more than held my own :D
There is a good one going in the for sale section with a Fox rear shock £180 well worth it mate!

Thanks! The frame in the ads looks nice, but think a 16" frame will be a bit small though, I'm about 5'10 and usually ride an 18"/medium gt frame :(

Not long ago I ran a 1997 GT LTS 1 - and it was a fine bike, I should never have sold it :cry:

Handled well, good responsive suspension, really did hide its years and hold its own (far better than the RTS I still have...)

Get one and enjoy :cool:

I think lts/sts are like a old cars .... Get the best you can afford in the first place it will cost less in the long run :? Projects including shot shocks and bushes just lead to great expense ... Be warned ;)

Yeah but so is that feeling of an old car spanking a new one etc like the under dog it can't be beat ;) Lol

I can't wait to race mine this year :D

hybrid666":155npiks said:
Yeah but so is that feeling of an old car spanking a new one etc like the under dog it can't be beat ;) Lol

I can't wait to race mine this year :D

Yep sorry didnt really make myself clear not by any means suggesting there not worth it just trying to advise to try and get one with shocks/bushes sorted or will be costly

What's the difference between the normal LTS, the later DS versions and the DH frames?

I know the DS and DH have the curvy seatpost tube to kick the saddle back but are there any other differences?

Well the Lts DH has 5.75 inch and lts 1 has 4.75 when the bushes are fixed to long travel that's on a GT serv video I watched any way:)

Back