Great big Singlespeed thread!

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":6noy33wl said:
Hi Guys
Just a couple of pics from yesterdays ride with epicyclo.
Out for a few hours on a loop in the flow country up my way. Out to the remote Altnabreac station and then south, slowly looping back north up to Loch More.
We were both out on the 1X1s, both running 2.75 Dirt Wizards and both sporting new saddles, mine with its new spoon and epicyclo sporting a new Brooks Cambium (very flash). From all accounts both worked great and I must say its the first time I have used a Charge Spoon after having heard good things and thankfully it lived up to the hype, very comfortable indeed.
Anyway heres a couple of pics.
Just thought I'd share and hope you all had a cool singlespeed ride as well.

Jamie

Epicyclo (Brian)

Some great pictures - your 1x1 is a great colour scheme.

Re:

Thanks mate
My 1X1 is an 2008 model frame and fork whereas Brians is an origibnal Rat Ride from when the company was called 1X1, not sure of exact year, think it was 98 or 99, something like that.
Its a great colour and I noticed the other day that the 2015 1X1 is a very similar looking green colour. Hard to tell from the pics on the site if it has the sort of matal flaking in it that mine has. This doesn't show up on the pics and is barely visible unless the sun shines on it, which isn't very often up here :LOL:
This loop was pretty easy type stuff and had a bit of an idea about running a sort of gravel grinder type ride for singlespeeds, maybe in the late summer next year. Problem is its a long way for most to come so just wondered what this small section of dedicated singlespeeders think.

Jamie

Paint

Jamiedyer":u83nphj0 said:
Thanks mate
My 1X1 is an 2008 model frame and fork whereas Brians is an origibnal Rat Ride from when the company was called 1X1, not sure of exact year, think it was 98 or 99, something like that.
Its a great colour and I noticed the other day that the 2015 1X1 is a very similar looking green colour. Hard to tell from the pics on the site if it has the sort of matal flaking in it that mine has. This doesn't show up on the pics and is barely visible unless the sun shines on it, which isn't very often up here :LOL:
This loop was pretty easy type stuff and had a bit of an idea about running a sort of gravel grinder type ride for singlespeeds, maybe in the late summer next year. Problem is its a long way for most to come so just wondered what this small section of dedicated singlespeeders think.

Jamie

Paint

What is Brian's front hub for? It's got some serious flanges, is it a hub brake?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil
Yeah Brian is old school, well older schooler than the rest of us anyway and he runs Sturmey drum brakes front and rear. They are well set out as he has had to make a mounting bracket etc and they work really well, never need adjusting and last forever. He runs a solid outer cable to them which helps I think as it gives a better feel. He runs the same setup on his Pugsleys. They seem pretty good quality.

jamie

Jamiedyer":137rsa7m said:
Hi Neil
Yeah Brian is old school, well older schooler than the rest of us anyway and he runs Sturmey drum brakes front and rear. They are well set out as he has had to make a mounting bracket etc and they work really well, never need adjusting and last forever. He runs a solid outer cable to them which helps I think as it gives a better feel. He runs the same setup on his Pugsleys. They seem pretty good quality.

jamie

Cheers Jamie - Thought it was - both bikes look great. I'm going to have to try out some of those Multi position bars!

Cheers

Neil

Re:

photo3_zps23e1a790.jpg

Looking at how far the tensioner is pushing the chain down I doubt it would be able to push up enough without fouling on the chainstay. It may need a link removing, but we all know it ain't that simple...

If that's a KMC chain a half link may be in order.

makster":1gdt97fi said:
Jamiedyer":1gdt97fi said:
Looking good Makster!
The tensioner should really push up to give better wrap around the cog. I know on the Surly tensioner you could get a different spring to either push up or pull down.
Looks great and well set up. Are you still going to ride geared off road as well?

Jamie

This will be the only bike I ride on/off road through the winter.
I'm really looking forward to giving it a proper test on my usual trails, but the chain ferry that runs across Poole Harbour is out of action for another 3 weeks.
Bearing in mind that Poole Harbour is the 2nd largest natural harbour in the world, it's a bloody long way to ride around instead!

train, parkstone to wareham :xmas-wink:

suburbanreuben":10rb405b said:
photo3_zps23e1a790.jpg

Looking at how far the tensioner is pushing the chain down I doubt it would be able to push up enough without fouling on the chainstay. It may need a link removing, but we all know it ain't that simple...

If that's a KMC chain a half link may be in order.

This is exactly where I'm at with this. I've tried everything and the only way forward seems to be a half link.

lumos2000":10rb405b said:
train, parkstone to wareham :xmas-wink:

The bike is in bits at the moment Luke. I'm having the frame refinished (again!) and hoping to get it back up nad running in the next week or so

Back