Great big Singlespeed thread!

neebsta":xru1ge37 said:
25E178BF-A2F1-4200-8B89-87FBA23B8F22_zpsuuhg1tid.jpg

A chilly morning ride!

^^ :cool: ^^

Re:

Thanks Jamie - and that has to be my all-time favourite bike. No matter what other of my bikes happen to be flavour of the month, that's the one that I always come back to.

I like LT hardtails in the right situation, but if I just want to get out and ride, with no plan or route in mind, then a nice rigid singlespeed, geared low and with a dropper post, is pretty much impossible to beat for me.
I hardly have to do any road work and I'm no racer any more so it works, whereas it might not for others.

Spec. has changed over time but it's probably in its final version now, which is -
Hope Pro2 hubs, Sun Ringle EQ27 rims, Easton Monkeylite carbon bars, RaceFace Turbine 60mm stem, Middleburn RS7 cranks, HBC chainring (I have a 28T & 32T), SKF 600 series BB, Chris King sprocket (18 or 20T, ) Hope Mini brakes with 180/160mm floating rotors and Gravity Dropper Classic two position post.
Cane Creek 110 headset, ODI Ruffian grips, Hope end plugs and seatpost clamp, Salsa QR skewers.

Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord tyres - that's about it, I reckon.

Quick question if I may.....

I've bought a 94 outpost trail to use as a donor bike for my 1990 Timberline SS project only to find that i has a horrible freewheel rather than freehub.

Can I use this wheel for SS without leaving the cassette on or spending a fortune?

Even better? With a chain and a rear brake cable? Spot on otherwise!

Is the seat post the right size? Slot looks a bit cinched.

Re: Re:

makster":3evd76kt said:
suburbanreuben":3evd76kt said:
photo3_zps23e1a790.jpg

Looking at how far the tensioner is pushing the chain down I doubt it would be able to push up enough without fouling on the chainstay. It may need a link removing, but we all know it ain't that simple...

If that's a KMC chain a half link may be in order.

This is exactly where I'm at with this. I've tried everything and the only way forward seems to be a half link.

lumos2000":3evd76kt said:
train, parkstone to wareham :xmas-wink:

If you don't want to use a halflink chain try 2 teeth bigger on the front a 1 tooth bigger on the back. It will result in almost the same gearing but will absorb most or all of the slack in the chain. That is assuming those XTR cranks aren't a funky non standard BCD and you get sprockets in anything other than 32?? :D

I would imagine taking a link straight out of that chain would be about right. Thats far too much slack and 32 is a pretty standard starting piont for singlespeed so there a good chance of taking the link out and it should come pretty close to being spot on.

Jamie

Back