Great big Singlespeed thread!

Sorry but I am bored and have another ss question!

Horizontal dropouts - not easy to get wheel out but looks good (to me) and otherwise simple.

Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) - easy wheel removal but EBB can slip on some models? Otherwise don't see a downside.

What about sliding dropouts? Like Pace have here: http://www.pacecycles.com/pacecycles-rc127/ is that the best of both worlds? Cause the frame itself is lovely.

I'll give you that track ends make wheel removal a bit of a pain IF you have full mudguards but otherwise...not so much.

EBB - bb height, seat tube length, setback etc all vary as you tension the chain.

Sliding dropouts - the only bike I've had with them was a Trek District and it was designed to allow the rear triangle to split so a belt could be fitted/removed. I didn't like them much and felt they were flexy and creaky. More modern and non split stay iterations may be a lot better.

I'd always go for track ends personally. They're just nice and simple and functional.

Re:

Thanks for that. Gonna buy some new wheels at some stage which will be tubeless so that will remove most theoretical issues, not that i've had any.

I'd agree with mechanical vandal. Track ends are the simple and effective solution. The Pace dropouts and Salsa Alternator dropouts are pretty good and they have the benefit that you can drop the wheel out and put it back without having to check alignment and set chain tension. I wouldn't go for an EBB personally for the reasons mentioned. Mostly the slipping and creaking one!

As for my bike, yeah, it's a Pugsley. Here are a couple more pics since you asked. ;)

IMG_0444_zps4o5iifjv.jpg

IMG_0428c_zpsry8vpsgc.jpg

Another 16 miles on this last night. I really do love ss now! Even contemplating selling the parkwood and buying a new ss to accompany this.

Back