Great big Singlespeed thread!

firedfromthecircus":1tk6yhu1 said:
OK.

THIS is where you start! ;)
Thanks again mate , i have been having a good look around this thread and that article :D
My main question was the wheel really , as it has track dropouts do i need a nutted axle or is a standard axle with a qr ok , the only spare wheels i have are both " retro " 7 speed ones .( im a bit of a tart about things like that :oops: )
Most sprocket and spacer kits seem to be for the longer 8/9/10 speed freehub so might need some playing with spacers to get it right :D
Cheers Paul

Most spacer kits you can buy will have the variety that you will be able to make things fit on 7, 8 or 9 speed hubs. Also some sprockets such as the Surly ones come with a double width foot and an offset to help get the chainline spot on. Velosolo do some nice ano spacer kits.

005_zpsiqnvztdl.jpg

Probably best to buy some cheapo sprockets like these until you find the gear you like, and then splash out on a nicer one.

Re:

If you want to go proper old school you can get spacers by splitting an old worn out cassette as the plastic inserts between the sprockets are spacers when alls said and done. A cheapo tall toothed sprocket that the chain won't come off can be achieved if you have a worn 16 tooth sprocket and a 22T 4 bolt hole 'granny' chainring. The 4 bolt holes of the chainring align perfectly with 4 gaps between the 16T sprocket and can be bolted together.With a 44 or 42T chainring on the front you have close to classic mtb 2:1 ratio. Further use of big rings gives greater chain wrap which leads to less chain slip and reduced chainring wear. Whole ideas dead cheap if you've got the spares lying around.
Even more old school, sections of plastic plumbing pipe of roughly the correct diameter can be used as spacers :LOL:
I've been single speeding since the 1990's and know loads of bodges ;)

firedfromthecircus":2e7526lr said:
Most spacer kits you can buy will have the variety that you will be able to make things fit on 7, 8 or 9 speed hubs. Also some sprockets such as the Surly ones come with a double width foot and an offset to help get the chainline spot on. Velosolo do some nice ano spacer kits.

005_zpsiqnvztdl.jpg

Probably best to buy some cheapo sprockets like these until you find the gear you like, and then splash out on a nicer one.
That looks really cool :cool:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":1i49fbtk said:
If you want to go proper old school you can get spacers by splitting an old worn out cassette as the plastic inserts between the sprockets are spacers when alls said and done. A cheapo tall toothed sprocket that the chain won't come off can be achieved if you have a worn 16 tooth sprocket and a 22T 4 bolt hole 'granny' chainring. The 4 bolt holes of the chainring align perfectly with 4 gaps between the 16T sprocket and can be bolted together.With a 44 or 42T chainring on the front you have close to classic mtb 2:1 ratio. Further use of big rings gives greater chain wrap which leads to less chain slip and reduced chainring wear. Whole ideas dead cheap if you've got the spares lying around.
Even more old school, sections of plastic plumbing pipe of roughly the correct diameter can be used as spacers :LOL:
I've been single speeding since the 1990's and know loads of bodges ;)
The " Bear Grylls " of the ss world :LOL:
I was putting more gears on in the 90s ! nowadays i need 22t front and rear at least :oops:
Paul

Re:

Ok , finally got a bit of time to play with the Kona frame :D
Its a bit scruffy but seems sound so gave it a quick polish .
Not sure what direction it will go yet but here are some pics anyway .
Overweight , unfit , no gears , this could get messy :D

Cheers Paul

that Kona looks a great frame :)
You'll be fine, build it, ride it, enjoy it, then relax and do it again.
Barry, I really like that Cross Check, I very nearly bought one at Christmas in the Triton sale but, thankfully I think, they sold out of my size before I went to order. One day, for sure.
Jamie

Quickest way to improve your fitness on a bike is to ride single speed Shinobi. That Kona looks a good option to get started. ;)

Cheers Jamie. I often think I should have got a Steamroller instead, but the Cross Check is versatile, and I'm loving it in it's new ss guise.

Re:

Thanks guys
Been trawling through the thread looking at some of the great builds and there seems to be a lot of Kona ss out there :)
I love Dookies King Kahuna viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46843&hilit=+kona
it is stunning and think i would like to do something similar all be it
a " bargain basement " version :LOL: depends what i have knocking around and how the riding position etc turns out .
Paul

Back