Good selection of GT Zaskars

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The only one that would (I think) fit me is collect only!

Zaskars seem to be one of the most common of bikes to suffer an ID crisis to judge by the number of decal sets sold. Never really sure how to distinguish from contemporary Avalanches (altho' I'm not sure any REAL difference other than made in a different country!).

Boluwd":3mpgr8nx said:
Check out bidder 5 activity on the second link, the GT ZASKAR 23" MTB.
Suspicious? :?:

yea i reckon so , aint seem many experinced e bayers make a dozen bids all with 3 quid increments !!

oldave":3jpz4e7t said:
Zaskars seem to be one of the most common of bikes to suffer an ID crisis to judge by the number of decal sets sold. Never really sure how to distinguish from contemporary Avalanches (altho' I'm not sure any REAL difference other than made in a different country!).

Covering the early to mid 90's (upto 1997?):

Zaskars have a flat GT stamped end plate where the top-tube pierces the seat-tube, the Avalanche end plate is curved.

Zaskars are 6061 alloy and Avalanches are 7005, I'm not 100% sure but sometimes these numbers can be found stamped on a dropout.

Zaskars will always have a serial number in the format MMYYNNNN e.g. 06941234 would be Zaskar number 1234 built June 1994, this should be stamped on one of the dropouts as will two digits to denote the frame size. An Avalanche would have its serial number on the bottom bracket shell and would look something like 8H......... (followed by more letters and numbers), that second letter should indicate the Taiwanese factory it was made in.

There is a forum user called gm1230126 who can pretty much definitively I.D. any GT frame if you can give him some basic details such as those I've mentioned.

Boluwd":2ao10ky2 said:
Check out bidder 5 activity on the second link, the GT ZASKAR 23" MTB.
Suspicious? :?:

I think you're being paranoid - check out his 30 day bid history, he has bid on many different items from many different sellers (including other bikes), the 3 quid thing is just his eBay "thing".

Back