Go Aheadstem?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
Now I'm an old (sorry, retro) giffer, my back and wrists are unwilling to put up with the traditional arse-in-the-air, MTB stretch that a long toptube and 140mm stem dictates. (A man needs to know his limitations ....)

So,

Issues:

1. I like curvy bars: good control, hand positions, sweet left-field looks.

2. Getting said bars on and off various stems to tailor riding position is a nightmare: just trashed the anodising on a set of one one mary's.

3. I'm seriously considering a lightweight clamp-style aheadstem with a 1" quill adapter.

4. I know little about the world of aheadstems: it's always been quill; so it's difficult to narrow the search.

Questions:

Any known drawbacks of the quill/ahead adapters?

What's a decent, light, retroish, clamp ahead stem without lots of teenage decals?

Specs:
Small rise
100-110 reach
Light; ti is nice.
Subtle

Bit of a tall order, but any ideas (or items for sale) much appreciated.

:)

Reckon you can still get a face off quill stem maybe a profile boa or a syncros hinged if you hunt around. Otherwise if you go the adapter route syncros or control techs offer plenty options and are reliable, plentiful and reasonable.

Quill/Ahead adaptors tend to be pretty weighty afairs, thereby negating the benefits of Ahead. There are a few nice quill stems with face plates (As Kaiser said - I like the Salsa) or you could always go with the time-honoured '2p-piece-in-the-slot' and reverse the bolt to open the bar clamp up a little! ;)

Hi,

A nice alternative to the Mary bars are a pair of the wiggely zoom ones.

Cheaper better looking and lighter! They are narrower though!

I am putting a set back on the Surly as they are so much better for your wrists.

Cheers,Al

I'm using an adapter with an ahead stem on a 1" threaded for steerer.

Has done my back (which I have problems with) the world of good and I'm defiately enjoying riding more for it.

I just bought a modern Kooka stem with matt black bars from LBS as I was in a hurry (and hadn't found this place at that point!).. made by Kooka I think.

I've ridden off road and noticed no problems from using the adapter and that was with a fully rigid bike so plenty of hard landings :D

Oh yes; there she blows. Haven't found a uk importer so I'll brace myself for customs and look up a 25.4 to 26mm shim [i think hubjub do a nice one]; neater and more fitting than the adapter route methinks.

Thanks for the steer [!] fellas. ;) :D

use a set of drops - annoys the hell out of everyone...

:p

go on! Use 'em!

dare ya...

Attachments

• DSC01269.JPG
    DSC01269.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 824
Ison distribution have these listed as part of their stock. Go to their home page and select a dealer near you, should be able to order one for you. £40, which is roughly the same as the ebay one from the states.

Back