GIANT MCM 990

kalviz

Retro Newbie
Hello.
Firstly, sorry for my bad English, becouse English isn't my mother tongue.
Secondly I have a bike Giant MCM990, and I wanted to ask you how much is it worth?
I don't really know anything about these bikes so I need your help.
Thanks.
https://imageshack.com/a/frzq/1

Re:

Hi welcome to the forum.
I like those MCM900 bikes, they have cool beach cruiser style lines, where the toptube is in the same curve as the seatstays. And it has a rare linkage setup, that you don't see everyday. It was sold as a 'Freeride' bike.
The linkage is pretty good for that time, makes for a nice ride. The rear seat stays and chain stays are a bit flimsy for 'freeride', more like a XC bike if you ask me.

But your question was the value:
Well Giant bikes are not that sought after I believe. Your bike looks new. Put some nicer (normal) wheels in there and the bike will look much better and will be easier to sell.

my 2cts

Thanks for your opinion!:) I my country's forums people told me to sell this bike, or keep it but not use it, becouse it is one of the first giant carbon bikes, and I can't afford not using it. so I am willing to sell it. :)

One more question. I can't change the rims, becouse they have a special lock(pentagon allen key is needed) and it is hard to find one:) Maybe you know where I could get one, or should I make my own?
Bump

30c7iww.jpg

wsnx8z.jpg

343rrcj.jpg

3163dch.jpg

b9d54l.jpg

wjex76.jpg

Re:

One more question. I can't change the rims, becouse they have a special lock(pentagon allen key is needed) and it is hard to find one:) Maybe you know where I could get one, or should I make my own?

They're security skewers, you could buy another set and they should come with a key. However, make sure it's the same pentagon size, some similar ones use a hexagon with a pin in the middle or just a standard hexagon, for a standard allen key. If you get really stuck you could always cut them off, you can find something similar quite cheap: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/halo ... -prod26621

I can't really help you with the value, but in general the bike is in good condition and has some nice quality components fitted. Doesn't look as though it has had much use.

Re: Re:

xerxes":7n341amj said:

They're security skewers, you could buy another set and they should come with a key.

I am going to try to make it my self.

I paid £350 for mine the other year which was also mint so should hopefully give you some idea o value.
Check out my sig to see what I did with it. I have recently changed the forks to some longer travel Fox talas which has slackened the head angle and it is now amazing on descents. I use mine fairly regular as I have a few bikes but I like the ride position. I just wish I had the tool to remove the pivots so I could grease them as it can squeak sometimes which is a pain.
I have also changed the crankset to a carbon hollow tech and added a dropper post.

Back