Getting a blinkin BB out

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
This particular one is one of those plastic cupped non shimano types. Black plastic cup type things.

Ive trued hacking it out with hacksaw but before I make a real definite mess - its been suggested using a heat gun maybe to warm the plastic cups - hopefully they'll melt enough to twist out?

Any other tips? Will I have to drill out the cartridge itself?

It in the Funk BTW...

:cry: I've managed to do these by using a VVV small drill bit to work around the cup, drilling enough for it to fall to pieces...good luck.

Wonder if the wiggling BB tool causes the problem but it always helps if it ain't slipping.

I bolt the BB tool onto the BB cup using washers and a bolt in the spindle. This way the tool can never wiggle. Then clamp the BB tool on a vice grip, use the frame as a lever and trun it. I've saved a nice frame from a nearly stripped BB cup.

jez-2-many-bikes":1g824oux said:
This particular one is one of those plastic cupped non shimano types. Black plastic cup type things.

Ive trued hacking it out with hacksaw but before I make a real definite mess - its been suggested using a heat gun maybe to warm the plastic cups - hopefully they'll melt enough to twist out?

It in the Funk BTW...

jez-2-many-bikes":2vv8yxsg said:

It in the Funk BTW...

Hey Jez, was having the same problem matey :( But wanted to be safe & save the bottom bracket + frame..So i took to LBS :D

On another frame i got away with cutting out the cup with a dremel and small cutting disc..Worked a treat.. ;)

Octsoc":go90k9lb said:
I bolt the BB tool onto the BB cup using washers and a bolt in the spindle. This way the tool can never wiggle. Then clamp the BB tool on a vice grip, use the frame as a lever and turn it.
Yup, that's how we do it in our workshop.

I hate plastic cupped BB's, not tried the warming them thing, but it might work.

same as above but if the brackets out and only one plastic cups left in the frame i brake it up with a cisel working from the out side in bracking the cup with out damiging the shell its fun that way :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back