Show us your Gravel Bikes

I was running WildGripper Sprints on my Orange Gringo towpath/gravel/tarmac commuter about 20 years ago - does that count?

I've found a couple of routes recently that are crying out for a Gravel type build - so I've been checking out 40cm tyres for a dusty cross bike I have.

Yes, I picked up an old battered Surly Straggler frame and am currently knocking it into shape. Unfortunately a size too small for me at 56 rather than the 58 I need but just doing it for the fun and to see what these Surly things are about. I have to say they are a bit different.

I've sold my sonder camino, which I loved and used for nearly 5 years, for this, as just fancied a flat bar again. Surly make fantastic bikes

Attachments

• 20240921_181103.jpg
    20240921_181103.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 15
I was running WildGripper Sprints on my Orange Gringo towpath/gravel/tarmac commuter about 20 years ago - does that count?

I've found a couple of routes recently that are crying out for a Gravel type build - so I've been checking out 40cm tyres for a dusty cross bike I have.
Dusty cross bike sounds like a perfect basis

I think "gravel" bikes have their place, but it's not the "only bike you'll ever need" as marketed by the bike industry. It's more of an n+1 specifically for gravel (duh) tracks and poor quality roads, long rides on mixed surfaces etc. (If I was only allowed one bike, it would be an audaxer with 28mm tyres, by far the most versatile of them all).

Going back to 650B is the key here, imho. 700c with anything larger than 28mm handles like crap. Drop the wheel diameter, increase the tyre size and keep the audax geometry of a relaxed 700c road bike. Make sure the BB is low, or is loses the comfort element. This is something to write home about. It's a pity that decent gravel tyres wear too fast and are a lot more prone to punctures than a good hard set of 28c.

...And, of course, it's not a re-badged 1990s MTB, it's a re-badged 1950s randonneuse.:rolleyes:

Every 'gravel' bike could be described as something else. The industry is spinning its wheels. Just how many of these bikes see any gravel?

I'm sure that most of you would have seen Frannie's photos, if not followed the build, but it's a 1950s frameset with "modern" (i.e. post 1999:LOL:) components retrofitted to it.

One can get a modern rando frameset: "Mr Wooden" by Brother, but I wonder if anyone knows of any other rando-inspired framesets?
Hopefully I'm not taking the thread offtopic with a bit of retro-modern fusion. ;)
Asking for the Mrs ;).

Attachments

• PXL_20230402_152659857.jpg
    PXL_20230402_152659857.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240517_175516145.jpg
    PXL_20240517_175516145.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm sure that most of you would have seen Frannie's photos, if not followed the build, but it's a 1950s frameset with "modern" (i.e. post 1999:LOL:) components retrofitted to it.

One can get a modern rando frameset: "Mr Wooden" by Brother, but I wonder if anyone knows of any other rando-inspired framesets?
Hopefully I'm not taking the thread offtopic with a bit of retro-modern fusion. ;)
Asking for the Mrs ;).
its a great combination , but finding nice old steel framesets with canti bosses and decent tyre clearance is actually pretty hard

Back