Gash Riding! YouTuber dices with fate.

Shouldn't get involved in this conversation, feels like a LFGSS thread! ;) 🤪🤣

She's a good rider with decent skills and she's only riding like this because she's being filmed. I'm sure on a daily basis she's not pushing it like she is. I spent 30 years riding in/around London on fixed gear. Did some courier work, use to ride brakeless for a while, but don't believe the hype. Yes you can stop without a front brake, but not as quick as you can with one despite what they say! 🤣

Lots of space on NY roads vs. London roads. She's a lot safer than the delivery riders on their de-restricted e-bikes with V-brakes that fly along everywhere. Completely understand the polar differences of opinions regarding her riding. I don't condone jumping lights and putting others at risk (part of my race training was trying to keep/catch up with RLJ's after waiting at the lights, it use to infuriate them!)

Having spent most of my life on London roads and witnessing some of things I have, this feels "normal". Watch any RedBull bike related stuff, now that's crazy!!! 😮

My only take-out from the video is that she's pushing quite a high gear as her cadence at speed isn't crazy, just interested to know what her ratio is! 🤣

I did say I realise it's a different reality riding in a place like that. I probably wouldn't ride a bicycle were I American.

It isn't really my cup of tea, I can appreciate the riding discipline but at the end of the day it is making a lot of unaware people participants. I don't really like that. At least other riding disciplines that push the boundaries have organised events.

I also wouldn't go mountain biking* 😜

*may be due to geographical circumstance
The U.S. is a hugely varied experience. For all the city traffic war zones, there is an enormous, bewildering, amount of wonderful rural cycling. A bewildering amount. Everywhere. You could live a thousand lifetimes and never scratch the surface.

Legislation may be the only way to curb the behaviours on display in some of the associated material featuring these fixie fools. I have a huge issue with the Strava twats turning cycle ways into their personal velodromes. There is a case for 'extreme' riding, but not, as you say, obliging others to follow suit.

I have aggressively defended my road position when it was prudent, and confronted dangerous driving practises where possible, my entire cycling life. It makes no sense to relinquish all that knowledge and experience, lived experience, to the notion of cool, entertaining, hip, rad, gnarly, sick, or whatever attributes are bing applied to practises which lead to further polarisation between cyclists and others.

I am no less of a cycling activist for seeing all this for what it is. Marketing.

Which neatly brings me to your remark about mountain biking. Worry not about the flatness of your lands. They are a country mile more mountainous than the tarmac city streets the vast majority of 'mountain bikers' negotiate day to day.

The mountain bike, equipped as it generally is with decent to excellent all weather braking; sturdy wheels and tyres that cope well with the rigours of the urban roads, and a seating position that lends better visibility than the drop bar brigade in their best control positions, is ideal for the commute and general work around the hustle and bustle of the conurbation. It could as well have been developed specifically for this purpose, but then marketing..

My only take-out from the video is that she's pushing quite a high gear as her cadence at speed isn't crazy, just interested to know what her ratio is! 🤣
don't forget, new york isn't exactly hilly. :) a big gear can be spun easy enough. Not so for our streets, where a big gear is possibly a harder thing to achieve when pushing up primrose hill. :)

77 gear inch and 2.9 ratio, that's fairly high for most but not unrideable on known flat terrain.

I think I was on a 52/18 SS road at one one point, changed to a 52/20 though as it was to big for the few hills I did have to ride.

Back