Gash Riding! YouTuber dices with fate.

Some Horlicks and Valium and go to bed early for some here.

I've posted this one and others before at the Inn, and will do a refresh over the winter.

Try to see some positives for cyclists sharing their rides. Try to understand what actually is the "problem" in cohabitation in a mega-pole.

This is arguably one of the most relaxing, refreshing, and wonderfully produced fixie rides in the big apple. You lot are not in the saddle, and you are not clued into the minor but significant details such as eye-contact even in rear view mirrors, and are taking the distant narrowing down of a wide angle camera lens too much. She is polite to pedestrians and a joy to watch. You should be supporting her in getting more female Americans in the saddle and not being overwhelmed with fear and rubbish.

All I can say is, if I rocked up at JFK and Fiona had a tandem, and she was captain, to get me across Manhatten, I would put every button of faith in her as a stoker. No question about it. If he she got fined, she got fined and it's on her chin. I would much prefer this over a high rate impatient yellow cab driver who needs to talk bullshit about NFL/NHL results and his sad frustrated sex life and other stuff of zero interest.

I love watching any cyclist in their element and their environment.

Last edited:
Bunnies get squashed and so do Cats, its always ok until one day it's not. Not my relation not my problem, not paying for her medical insurance either. Just because you do don't mean you should, I like watching bunnies in their natural environment but it's not the best seeing roadkill...

Bunnies get squashed and so do Cats, its always ok until one day it's not. Not my relation not my problem, not paying for her medical insurance either. Just because you do don't mean you should, I like watching bunnies in their natural environment but it's not the best seeing roadkill...

https://www.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...peed-limits-5-mph-nine-major-streets-citywide

Reality check, even years ago when I was there, the speed limit was astoundingly low compared to say inner Paris. While it's a good few years ago I'm in a mega urban environment, the moment you flow with traffic, and occupy space in the centre of the road it is the safest, it flows, you have good visibility all around and you are out of trouble from immediate incursions.

NYC is far from a cyclist friendly city like our Northern European countries, but it is getting there, but one should never be put off either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Vails

Some Horlicks and Valium and go to bed early for some here.

I've posted this one and others before at the Inn, and will do a refresh over the winter.

Try to see some positives for cyclists sharing their rides. Try to understand what actually is the "problem" in cohabitation in a mega-pole.

This is arguably one of the most relaxing, refreshing, and wonderfully produced fixie rides in the big apple. You lot are not in the saddle, and you are not clued into the minor but significant details such as eye-contact even in rear view mirrors, and are taking the distant narrowing down of a wide angle camera lens too much. She is polite to pedestrians and a joy to watch. You should be supporting her in getting more female Americans in the saddle and not being overwhelmed with fear and rubbish.

All I can say is, if I rocked up at JFK and Fiona had a tandem, and she was captain, to get me across Manhatten, I would put every button of faith in her as a stoker. No question about it. If he she got fined, she got fined and it's on her chin. I would much prefer this over a high rate impatient yellow cab driver who needs to talk bullshit about NFL/NHL results and his sad frustrated sex life and other stuff of zero interest.

I love watching any cyclist in their element and their environment.
I did say I realise it's a different reality riding in a place like that. I probably wouldn't ride a bicycle were I American.

It isn't really my cup of tea, I can appreciate the riding discipline but at the end of the day it is making a lot of unaware people participants. I don't really like that. At least other riding disciplines that push the boundaries have organised events.

I also wouldn't go mountain biking* 😜

*may be due to geographical circumstance

I did say I realise it's a different reality riding in a place like that. I probably wouldn't ride a bicycle were I American.

It isn't really my cup of tea, I can appreciate the riding discipline but at the end of the day it is making a lot of unaware people participants. I don't really like that. At least other riding disciplines that push the boundaries have organised events.

I also wouldn't go mountain biking* 😜

*may be due to geographical circumstance

You were one of the few that made a proper comment IMHO.

Rules and conduct of the road should never be a suggestion, but I feel there's a lot of moaning to something pleasant to watch and us get a vibe of cycling in NYC.

Hell, you may have noticed she was in a complete minority on the streets as a cyclist. So is the cyclist wrong? Her choosing to use her skills, road craft and confidence to get about the problem or is the problem elsewhere?

You were one of the few that made a proper comment IMHO.

Rules and conduct of the road should never be a suggestion, but I feel there's a lot of moaning to something pleasant to watch and us get a vibe of cycling in NYC.
Agreed. I don't think anyone should really be discriminating against any riding culture, but of course it should be topic for discourse. I find that sort of riding rather overwhelming. I've never seen that type of riding over here. Seeing cyclists swerve between traffic is very foreign to me, but I also spend about 90% of my riding time in rural zones. I, admittedly, am terrified of cycling in cities. Not only because of rogue car drivers, but also fellow cyclists or pedestrians. It's just too congested for my liking and it makes me wonder how they ever made it work in the very early days.

That said I am not very supportive of separation and I prefer, to a large degree, to be on the road with cars simply because it forces them to be aware of me. There's many examples of Danish crossings where being a cyclist can become a death affair mostly due to the detachment, which makes the very few areas where we have to cross the road quite accident prone.

tl;dr - I'd walk in NYC! ;)
Hell, you may have noticed she was in a complete minority on the streets as a cyclist. So is the cyclist wrong? Her choosing to use her skills, road craft and confidence to get about the problem or is the problem elsewhere?
I agree but at the same time we have to accept that she is also making a video to showcase a set of riding skills which belongs to a riding culture that is quite prominent in the US, likely as a result of poor cycling infrastructure. So, it goes both ways. There's a point to be made that she's skillful (hell, I'd love an ounce of her confidence) but there's also a point to be made that the type of riding she does is unnecessarily dangerous. Putting your full trust in fellow man like this isn't something I would personally do. But I'd like to imagine that she's an advocate for more bike friendly infrastructure, and fingers crossed America gets it. I just hope long term we will have better conversations about cycling infrastructure as well - as it is clear to me that what we've got to Denmark only works to a degree. There's a bigger conversation to be had and it has to do with awareness of fellow road users more so than anything else. Simply separating doesn't get to the root of the issue.

the issue I have is others trying to copy her in places where it's less known. new york, london, paris, add major cities until you run out of breath (hell, even parts of Manchester and Liverpool)*, these places, riding like this is a known, drivers expect it, ped's know about it, . do it in a sleepy town on the edge of the moors though and you'll get smeared across the road by a farm truck or take out a little old dear on her way to the coop for the morning paper. run a red light in a major city, you'll hit a road block of parked cars anyway, do it round here and you'll meet a stream of cars doing their level best to beat the next car along to the next set of lights.

time and a place I'd say. Where she is, is the time and the place, leave her to it. have a look for people doing similar on skates if you want scary.

* parts of major cities, not all of it, don't go doing it around somewhere like Ealing because "it's London", it's not going to work.

I did ride courier in Manchester a long time ago for a summer, I learned more riding skills from the old boys on aggressive, defensive riding then I can remember these days. as said above though, you only rode like that in the very centre around the finacial and insurance districts (which is where you spent most of you time anyway).

Agreed. I don't think anyone should really be discriminating against any riding culture, but of course it should be topic for discourse. I find that sort of riding rather overwhelming. I've never seen that type of riding over here. Seeing cyclists swerve between traffic is very foreign to me, but I also spend about 90% of my riding time in rural zones. I, admittedly, am terrified of cycling in cities. Not only because of rogue car drivers, but also fellow cyclists or pedestrians. It's just too congested for my liking and it makes me wonder how they ever made it work in the very early days.

That said I am not very supportive of separation and I prefer, to a large degree, to be on the road with cars simply because it forces them to be aware of me. There's many examples of Danish crossings where being a cyclist can become a death affair mostly due to the detachment, which makes the very few areas where we have to cross the road quite accident prone.

tl;dr - I'd walk in NYC! ;)

I agree but at the same time we have to accept that she is also making a video to showcase a set of riding skills which belongs to a riding culture that is quite prominent in the US, likely as a result of poor cycling infrastructure. So, it goes both ways. There's a point to be made that she's skillful (hell, I'd love an ounce of her confidence) but there's also a point to be made that the type of riding she does is unnecessarily dangerous. Putting your full trust in fellow man like this isn't something I would personally do. But I'd like to imagine that she's an advocate for more bike friendly infrastructure, and fingers crossed America gets it. I just hope long term we will have better conversations about cycling infrastructure as well - as it is clear to me that what we've got to Denmark only works to a degree. There's a bigger conversation to be had and it has to do with awareness of fellow road users more so than anything else. Simply separating doesn't get to the root of the issue.

Two or three days you'd be fine. I spent eight years in London cycling, and there are lots of ways to cycle (just don't cycle on the inside of large turning vehicles) - from chilled out to courier speeds. The other road users tend to be in standstill or moving slowly. Everyone is pretty accepting. You will rarely find someone shouting "Strava" as they try to hustle past you. I now mostly cycle in rural areas, but occasionally go to the big smoke and it's invigorating in a way - experiencing all of the sights, sounds and smells - revisiting old short cuts.

Two or three days you'd be fine. I spent eight years in London cycling, and there are lots of ways to cycle (just don't cycle on the inside of large turning vehicles) - from chilled out to courier speeds. The other road users tend to be in standstill or moving slowly. Everyone is pretty accepting. You will rarely find someone shouting "Strava" as they try to hustle past you. I now mostly cycle in rural areas, but occasionally go to the big smoke and it's invigorating in a way - experiencing all of the sights, sounds and smells - revisiting old short cuts.

Likewise, I think I did about 10 years of London cycle commuting in total and can count on 1 hand the bad experiences.

NYC was mental in comparison. No respect shown by anyone, typically NY I guess 🤣 ;)

Last edited:
Back