full sus recommendations please (lightweight for xc use)

Re: Re:

Tidy :)

FS aside That looks quite similar the 1999 Hawk Hill HT I just sold.
The one bike I have left is an 03 hawk hill which I built up. (because it had discs)

It seems like I'm a fan of 2004-current bikes as long as the livery isn't too lairy (things like Cube graphics really are a turn off) I like em simple / less lairy.

davidj":ttlhp0pm said:
Are you up for building up your ideal bike? I.
Now that's a question. Originally when I started this thread I intended to do so. However I'm now at the point where I've set my approx 500 budget and with xmas money coming in and the sale of one of my telecasters I can raise the extra 300/400 on top of what I got for the old bike easily. Then sell the remaining hawk hill in short order to recoup a bit.

Problem is. the pretty bikes, like the Santa Cruz Superlight are hard to find. So I'm trying to be practical and just this morning have added another desireable to me list.. an FSR Stumpjumper or an epic (don't care about "copying" the boss anymore) in a nice colour, and isn't red like his :) (i don't like red bikes.. and lots of specialized and giants seem to be red!) i want black, dark grey, pretty much any blue from baby through to royal.. or shiny silver. just not red, bright green or yellow :)

Re:

Does your employer offer a bike to work scheme? Great way of getting a new bike up to a £1000, with the sales coming up you may get a better deal than used on a 2015 model. Plus you can stick the cash into an ISA and use it to make the payments.

thanks for the suggestion, but no they don't :(

i think the main issue now is actually finding something local-ish (<80miles) when i've got the cash. doing pretty well learning my way around all the model ranges - apart from brands i'm not familiar with. (and ones with stoopid numeric schemes like whyte which are a PITA to decipher). but LBSs that sell used bikes are few and far between, so its ebay, the section on here and pinkbike (which seems to be quite out of date for some ads as i've seen stuff there marked as sold elsewhere) plus preloved, where i got my current bike.

so, back to patience.. hopefully with the sell off & xmas funds coming in i'll have the cash in my pocket sooner next year

from what i've read in online comparisons an fsr stumpjumper describes my riding style better, but i'll snag an epic if the right model comes up instead. i push 40 soon, not expecting to start xc racing. newer mount vision similar, a nice giant anthem will attract me, as will the Orange st4, and the Santa Cruz SL.

Don't worry your boss will be rewarded with your new healthy attitude and vigour when you are hitting the trails on that new bike ;).

found an absolute bargain but don't have the cash yet.. boo! time to get some stuff on the 'bay over the weekend..

had a quick visit/ride on a local epic last night.. felt nice :)

just waiting on someone to buy one of the two things i have on ebay. i thought one had sold (may still have) hence the visit last night

Re:

+1 for findthatbike - it's a great resource!

I know you're looking at frames as first point of call; but if you suddenly come into the money; check these out: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/uc/e ... -prod75706
Brilliant wheels, tough as anything and weigh 3/5ths of bugger-all ;) Also useful in that the front wheel is convertible to 15/20mm as well as QR, so no issues looking for forks.
It's a great time to be looking for 26er full-sus bikes tho; none of the cracking/failure issues that used to rear up, lots of kidz selling off 'old' bikes for 650b's.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back