full sus recommendations please (lightweight for xc use)

Canopy

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Just sold my second bike. So I'm back down to one. I'm now in the market for an full sus bike to replace it. I'm not in any rush, would like to be up and running by the time the clocks change again (march) and don't think I have unrealistic expectations. In fact, the longer I wait, the more cash I may have.

I'm 5'7, so anything in the 15" - 17" / medium range will be OK. However, I'd like to stick to 26" wheels, the only other strict requirement is that the frame will take a disc brake (I may have donor forks depending what comes up), and at least one bottle cage. Not being a silly shape so it'll go on my bike rack (hatchback style) would of course be a plus!

Riding wise. I primarily ride the Quantocks, and I'd say XC/Trail is probably what describes me best. So I'm after something modestly light and comfortable to climb with. I don't jump off anything higher than about a foot but do 'bomb' down some of the tracks/descents at up to 20mph.

With Xmas approaching my budget is pretty low as a write this (couple hundred), however once xmas is out of the way I should have approx 500 quid by my 'end time' to get something.

My current wish list is 2002+ Mount Vision or similar era Santa Cruz Superlight. I will buy a frame and build up from that if it comes down to it. However as I'm not 'up' on any brand/model that appeared since the mid 90s, if anyone has recommendations for similar style bike please suggest away! :)

Re:

From my first quick eBay search I must say thats a great suggestion! Thanks :)

Some nice all black ones out there. I do like my bikes either "murdered out" as the kids say (all black), or a single, non too lairy (silver/dark blue etc) frame colour, with black or silver wheels depending what goes with the primary colour.

edit one a bit like this, without the silly lefty fork :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-pr ... Swp5JWUOuT

this prophet sl frame looked good..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cannondale-pr ... 7675.l2557

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I'm selling a 16" Orange Sub3 frame.
100mm travel at the back, and I ran it with 100mm forks.
A great Bine which has done long distance races and Brechfa trails

Re:

Id throw in scott spark and specialized epic. You may be able to pick up carbon frame ones.... just.

Re: Re:

epic - would be good - apart from someone I ride with has an s-work one with the brain (my boss)
scott spark - looks great. i'm assuming you don't get many other carbon frames in the secondhand market at around this price?

also.. avoiding trek's fuse i think? as my manager has one :D

Carge":1wz6itiw said:
I'm selling a 16" Orange Sub3 frame.
100mm travel at the back, and I ran it with 100mm forks.
A great Bike which has done long distance races and Brechfa trails
Missed that in my digging back through that section! Nice frame, not keen on the swing arm though.

My current bike was a barn fresh.. literally! "build it cheap" project with a variety of bits. I'm currently running 160mm forks (bomber TST2s got em cheap!). apart having to keep weight forwards on super steep climbs its a very nice upgrade from the suntour forks they replaced. I think they're not really a suitable donor for a frame only project

Sorry for changing my requirements a little. but I think frame+forks match is a bare minimum for me now.

brocklanders023":1wz6itiw said:
Orange st4? Well regarded and much cheaper than the 5.
thanks - none on the 'bay apart from frames right now. doesn't seem common - but they look more like what i'm after :)

So I'm learning a lot. I hope this helps someone else one day.

quick collation of my hunt list in rough order of preference:

santa cruz superlight
orange st4
commencal super 4
scott spark
marin mount vision pro or marin mount vision (the darker coloured ones which are 2003+ i think)
cannondale prophet (sl version if possible - and without the silly backwards looking dt swiss/pace forks)

plus extra searches..
orange sub3
marin rift zone or wolf ridge (newer one, if tastefully upgraded)
in my dreams anything full sus by yeti/whyte/santa cruz heckler or nomad/norco

sadly : many of my desirables are few and far between.

been trawling for sale section here / ebay / pinkbike / preloved / gumtree / local facebook bike groups!

adding another bike as it comes up in almost every review as "the" baseline to compare against.

giant anthem

also decided to sell one of my guitars to raise a few hundred... so if it goes the timeline will be accelerated :)
time to swot up on models.

Re:

Are you up for building up your ideal bike? I bought a 2001 Marin Shoreline Trail in the summer for £100 and have spent the following months upgrading almost every part of it to make the bike I want. I also wanted disc tabs and they are easier to find on the later Marins, mine has 4" rear travel and finding a suitable shock wasn't easy or cheap so you need to bear that in mind.

Most of the parts I have removed have sold and the frame now stands me at £38 with a few more parts to sell.

I spent quite a lot on the upgrades but not that much more than your new year budget of £500 and it could have been done for a lot less with cheaper/used components.

Easton Monkey Lite Post and Bars to go on this weekend then it will just be a few cosmetic items and Powder coating left :).

Back