FS: Kona Explosif 1994 complete bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 4805
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4805

OK before I start I want to point out although I'm into mountain bikes I don't know a great deal about the retro stuff so if there are some mistakes with age etc please point them out. Also I really do not know an accurate value of the bike so I'm setting an asking price ( Possibly on the high side ) as required and I'm sure if any of you are interested you will make offers.

The bike was owned from new by one of my friends and I recently swapped for some modern stuff with the intention of using as a winter bike, however knowing what I'm like I will probably end up upgrading every single part and before I know it have blown a fortune, so I have decided to sell.

For the time being I will not split ANY parts as I have just done that with a newish bike and really do not want the hassle again, if I cannot sell as a whole for what I feel is a decent price I will then re list it on here in pieces.

Kona Explosif 1994: Colour is original dark metalic green size unknown but top tube centre to centre is 57cm and seat tube from centre of BB to top of seat tube is 46cm. Overall the frame is in good condition but has quite a few chips in the paint work and a small amount cable rub. There are no dents and the only real wear is on the drive side chain stay where the chain has rubbed. I have taken pics but may need to re do tomorrow in the light as have come out very blurred.

Wheels: There are 3 in total, 2 x Mavic X618 v brake rims, the front has never been used with a v brake.

Hubs: Front DT Swiss Hugi 240, rear XT FH-M737.

Front wheel is true and bearings perfect overall really excellent condition.

Rear wheel is out of line and I have noticed some spokes are quite loose there are no dents on the rim, the hub spins freely but sounds a little dry ( If that makes sense ) I have no idea how to true a wheel so have left them loose. Visualy VGC to excellent.

Original front wheel which is in excellent condition, is a Hope Hub ( Not sure of name but a classic early type in silver v barke only ) and Mavic 221 rim.

Tyres both modern Conti Vertical 2.3 in VGC - Excellent condition and Specialized Enduro 2.2 in excellent condition with very little wear. Front has a fast puncture and I have been too lazy to fix.

Forks: Rock Shox Judy Race 1991 lovely looking in deep metalic red, VGC to excellent condition, feel nice and smooth but rebound adjust control feels a little stiff.

Brakes. Currently there is an AVID BB5 cable disk brake ( I think ) on the front but I have the original XTR V-brake and the same XTR M950 v brake is fitted to the rear. All in excellent condition.

Shifters are XTR M950 in VGC except for one the the indicator pods is missing.

Rear Mech is XTR M952 in VGC with avid roller magic.

Shimano PD-M747 pedals which have a few scuffs but work well.

Bars are Azonic Oneal risers, I have the ORIGINAL Kona Race lite bars which are included and are in excellent condition.

Race Face Evolve XC stem with titanium bolts.

FSA the pig headset.

XT crank ( newer type than 1994 not a retro piece )/ Shimano cassette + chain all of which is rather worn and I would say will need replacing. Also no front mech.

Asking £450

I'm in Surbiton, Surrey but will be travelling to Somerset early Wednesday morning and will then be in Birmingham Thursday so if anyone wants to view the bike in these areas please let me know and I can bring with me and meet up.

I have taken some pics but as dark not so great with the flash but will re do tomorrow. E-mail andrewstent@hotmail.com

Explosif

Pictures

Attachments

• Kona reduced.jpg
    Kona reduced.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,405
Explosif

More pics

Attachments

• Kona Hope.jpg
    Kona Hope.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,402
Explosif

Pics

Attachments

• Kona Hugi.jpeg
    Kona Hugi.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,397
Explosif

Pics

Attachments

• Kona Judy.jpg
    Kona Judy.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,394
Kona

Hi,

I will list prices only if I cannot sell complete and will do a new listing. No the rear is an XT not hope and has a different rim.

The two wheels on the bike have the same X618 rims but one with the DT hub and one with the XT.

The Hope is on a different rim the 221.

Cheers,

Andrew

Explosif

Hi,
At the moment sorry no, if things change I will let you know.
Regards,
Andrew

I have one just like this....can anyone tell me the correct seat post diameter? Problem is mine came with a USE Ti post but I think it has the wrong size shim as the seat tube is pinched at the clamping point.

Apologies for hijacking the thread a bit...!

Back