FS: Giant Cadex

Tombird":29tarc8e said:
Ok, thanks for the pics. :D

I'm not sure what to do now, I really like the look of it and the geometry should be good but the general consensus (on weight weenies) is that its a bad idea to race something that old.
:?
I wouldn't be able to use the headset, as the (C KING) crown race on my SID forks is impossible to remove, so if I bought the frame it would have to be without it. - would you accept fifty pounds if I collected?

I'll try and let you know asap whether I will buy it.

:LOL: , sorry but wrong question to ask on WW .

Yes, I guess your right cchris - they definitely know what they are talking about though.

Have you ever had a go on one of these frames? - do you know anymore about them?

Thanks

Hi There,

If you could split the difference and make it £55 collected, then i'd be happy to accept.

As it happens, I know a composites engineer, i'll give him a shout for his thoughts on racing on a frame like this... I think he frequents this forum but not sure?

I hope this doesn't sound 'off' or 'funny' but i've been on the weightweenie forums before, and it seems a bit "if you don't have this uber 10g carbon, weight neutral pimptastic frame, designed by a man with one leg, one eye on a remote island, hand-crafted from the finest etc etc" (you get the idea) but perhaps that just my perception of that forum... and please accept my sincere apologies if my comments come across as anything other than a little jovial! ;) (I hope a smiley helps!) ;)

thank you for your kind words about the frame too, it is a lovely bit of kit and i'm reluctant to sell on, but needs must!

regards
Jonathan ;)

Ha ha - I know what you mean, but I think I'm turning into one of them myself!!! :shock:

Ok, I'll buy it :D - I would really appreciate it if you could ask the engineer for his opinion though, as I am still slightly apprehensive.

If you PM (or email me) your phone number I will call you and arrange to pick it up when your free. I will be getting the train so If you could meet me at the station it would be much apreciated. :D

Thanks,
Francis

Hi retrobike people ;)

Unfortunately it looks like this frame is back up for sale, Tombird wanted to use this for racing on, and with a little time and reflection, has other plans (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying this).

I had a word with a friend, a composites engineer who said this about these cadex frames "If the paintwork is ok and there’s no signs of bubbling under it near the joints there shouldn’t be a problem composites don’t age badly but aluminium does you will see white powder near the joint or bubbling and if you scratch at it the paint and powder will just fall off, if the paint is pretty fresh there’s not much chance of a failure in the aluminium

Carbon can fail through UV damage you will not be able to tell if this has happened (without some very special gear)but most paints protect against UV and on top of that it takes about 20 years so I would say in my honest opinion its as safe as houses they were pretty overbuilt bikes and tough as hell

So, if you feel like a cadex is for you, and you'd like some lovely retro-ness, its available for a pretty damned good price ;)

cheers,
Jonathan ;)

Back