Front brake cable routes? Stuck

Hi Richard I couldn't remember how to set the chain length against the smaller cassette cog or larger one I think its smaller.
I still have the original chain but its 34 years old so wanted to reset the whole gearing system from scratch?
Plan is mount the derailleur wrap chain around the smallest gear cog and split the chain to right length as for adjusting the Huret Derailler I was going to fit the gear cable. From that point onwards trial & error to see what each screw did LOL!
Not sure how taught the gear cable should be either? Its a three gear one lever system by the way

Ah ok, well what i do, and perhaps someone will confirm, is large chainwheel (front) to largest cog on the freewheel (rear) - a gear you should never use as it can damage the chain. Run the chain and tighten it until the rear mech is almost vertical and mark the chain. Split it and remove excess links, rejoin and should be job done. If anything i leave it slightly longer and i can remove another link if required.

I will be interested to see other ideas - I know there is one where you can measure the distance and shorten the chain to length - too complicated for me. (look for HS post i made, it definitively proves i cannot count!0

Richard

Richard sorry I'm really confused now! :oops:
So set it to largest cog first like the picture bellow?
IMG_0453.jpg

Yup You are trying to achieve the longest distance the chain travels - largest cog in pic above to largest chainring at front.

Richard

I would take some more advice - with three cogs it probably makes very little difference which one you use to set it up.

Richard

Okay that makes sense don't know why I thought smallest first I remember when I was a kid someone said the derailleur will extend the chain for distance length? I was a kid of 9 :LOL:
Well I have to wait for the chain splitter to arrive!

I hope you paid around £10 for it, i noticed a mad price on Amazon for it!

Richard

Yes I paid £10.00 free delivery! I seen cheaper, but from what I can tell the steel pins are not hardened steel pins LOL!

I am sure it will be fine, If you are careful. I broke one last week and it was not Park tools - I had it from 1982 and it had sentimental value - still in its' box too.

boo hooooooooooooooooooo

Richard

I have tools I've broken or lost people just don't understand when that happens Richard
But this will cheer you up Its not even I can't afford one but it works!:LOL:
Jay
P1040034.jpg

Back