Front brake cable routes? Stuck

GITANE80

Devout Dirtbag
The front brakes aren't Aero types they come out from the top so I'm completely stumped on the route whether to have it front of the bars or route it around the stem left to right anyone have pictures of the best route for front brake cable?
I'm using Shimano cable stuff?
I'm not sure how much of a loop I should go as its a eight year old riding this also?
(I have suicide levers on the front so not sure if that complicates the route)

Yes Thanks Richard that helps alot.
I've come across another issue the rear brake lever feels like its snagging or clicking lever side, its not being brought back to rest without a little help! To me it feels like the cable is snagging on the outer cable. you can see the Ferrell stick up from the lever?
All I did was cut to length wound down the adjuster to bottom then pulled tight on cable did up the nut then use the adjuster, but the adjuster seems to make no difference whats gone wrong I say? :oops:

It sounds like the cable is a bit long. I usually hold the calipers about 1 mm from the rim and then tighten the cable clamp. You need three hands for this!! I am sure Park tools have a tool for doing this but with pateince it should work.

If not, post a couple of pics and it might make more sense. I presume they are new cables and new outers?

Richard

Yeah I have discovered that the two bolts holding the spring brakes have a sweet spot and I had it then lost it, but four hands would help!
I'll post a few pics in awhile Richard thanks for the help!
Jay

LOL Four hands are the best! :twisted:

Well it might be all wrong but this is what it looks like I've turned the forks full turns and there is no stretch on the cables!
I think I should loosen the lock nut up then free up the brake nut stop it from snagging or get the spring feel back then tighten the lock nut up sounds like a plan?
P1040033.jpg

P1040032.jpg

P1040031.jpg

the brake adjuster barrel that is on the brake arm should be screwed nearly all the way down before attaching the cable & nipping it up then fine tuning can happen after - that's how I have always done it so as the brake block wears you just turn the barrel a tad.

Back