frame numbers on the bay

pjr

Dirt Disciple
hi all,
with the ever present worry of our pride and joys being stolen and sold on, would it worth approaching Ebay and asking for it to be made a requirement for frame numbers to be included in the item specifics, any thoughts?
Pete

Half the ebay sales would disappear overnight...

...then loads of home stamping kits sell overnight!

:facepalm: :p

I agree it may reduce the number of bikes sold on ebay, but i would much rather buy a genuine bike rather than a stolen one.
Also a simple step like this would reduce the market for stolen bikes.
Get your bikes registered on the bike register!

Half of my bikes don't have frame numbers, or if they do, you can barely read them.

There will always be exceptions, not all bikes have frame numbers, but there's a difference between not having a number which can easily be explained in the listing, and not giving a number because it has been removed or known to be stolen.
I'm sure the majority of bikes for sale on ebay have frame numbers.

maybe I should have called this "can you read your frame number?" :)

I can read all of mine!

My "thing" is Cannondales,which have their frame numbers punched in needle style.The first two were bought stripped of their paint,I made careful note of the numbers and then powder coated them,at which point you can't read them.
I know my Orange has a number but you can't see that either for the same reason.Powder coating seems to fill every small hole and then skin over the top.

I have just bought a spare Cannondale F/F which came newly coated in Pure Orange powder coat and for this reason I have to take the sellers word for year and model.

Even if you have the number you really need a central register in order to check provenance.I hate the idea of either having my bikes stolen or of buying someone else's nicked pride and joy but it is so difficult to police the history of 20 year old bikes.

Back