Frame & forks re-spray

Does Chris Marshall do Chrome and fit the correct decals? Just looking for alternatives to BJ.......it's the Yorkshire lad in me coming out LOL

Shaun

Very pleased with my Jackson respray. Listen to their advice on finishes - I picked a simple metallic which seems pretty durable. The flamboyants look stunning but apparently are much more fragile. I'll probably pick a simple enamel next time.

I'd agree with that. The stove enamels are pretty durable - I've only got 5 chips or so on my tourer after 9 years.

For MTBs, then powdercoat is way more durable, but doesn't easily get the same shine.

How durable would white pearlescent be ? I gather it's just a plain white enamel but with a pearl effect lacquer.....

Shaun

Midlife":1kjpxij2 said:
Does Chris Marshall do Chrome and fit the correct decals? Just looking for alternatives to BJ.......it's the Yorkshire lad in me coming out LOL

Shaun

How do you mean - 'do chrome'? There are plenty of platers around. Prestige Platers in Wombwell are owned by a cyclist and do a lot of renovation work on components and frames etc. Frame sprayers and builders send frames to platers, they don't do it themselves. I took a frame with scratched etc. chromed ends and forks to a local plater and he just buffed them up for me on his machine. Looked almost new. Chris will fit decals of any type - but it will be up to you to source them as with any sprayer. If the sprayer sources them they will charge accordingly.

Give him a ring and ask him, he's a nice guy.

Just picked up a 1975 raleigh frame, brought it to a paint shop in Brownlow road Berkhamstead, he will blast it and paint it for £40.
He powder coated my mountain bike frame 12 years ago for £15 and it's still going strong with no chips as jet even with my style or riding.

Old Ned

My BJ has no chrome at the moment and was thinking about 10" front and rear or maybe all chrome forks with 10" at the rear.

The reason I asked was that I realised that frame finishers used outside platers......it was my job to deliver / pickup frames from Wenlock Platers in Hull for chrome work. Aside from the huge vats of chemicals,which I'm sure were pretty dangerous, the chrome quality was iffy even on a good day.

I guess I'm just looking for something special :)

Shaun

I had a couple of frames forks, stems, handle bars powder coated recently and it cost me £55. Finish is pretty decent to but the paint is thick so making is important. Impact coating in Colchester did mine.

Got my frame back from Bob Jackson this morning. Photo is a bit rubbish but the frame looks fantastic. Reallly impressed by the job they've done and they turned it round in 3 weeks not the 4-6 they estimated. I'm sure a combination of my cackhandedness and tools will test the durability during the build up.

6r7qr6.jpg

Thanks all

Kerplunk - if you don't mind me asking (and I know that you might!) how much did you pay?? And where did you get the stickers? Are they new or repro's??

Thanks

Back