For Mangizmo - Aldi

Didnt claim im a local legend, I just said that I like to keep peoples expectations low as a 61 year old bloke on a deeply unfasionable £150 bike loaded with accessories that nobody else bothers with....."underpromise and overdeliver" is always a good policy IMO and I have never used STRAVA or anything like it in any case

Maybe people don’t have any expectations of you?

Logically … riding a lighter, faster rolling , aero bike makes things a whole lot easier. I know certainly I can add 5mph to my average by riding a fast bike compared to a slow bike. Never mind one with “accessories”. So if you are fast on your bike at 61 , well done.

What club do you ride with?

Its all a cunning ploy, when I go out on a Thursday training ride there always people that dont know me, so an old duffer with an unfasionable bike, with a kickstand, a bell, a handlebar bag, a mirror and a portapotty saddle with springs and a £15 helmet is sure to be slow right ? I always swap the tyres for 700x23 and hence its easy to exceed expectations, if you roll up on a fancypants carbon roadbike with Di2 you are never going to be as good as you look :)
Did'nt know SAGA did training rides !

Logically … riding a lighter, faster rolling , aero bike makes things a whole lot easier. I know certainly I can add 5mph to my average by riding a fast bike compared to a slow bike. Never mind one with “accessories”. So if you are fast on your bike at 61 , well done.

Dartmoor Classic Century ride a couple of years ago, I ride with these guys now and again, I was a very regular rider with this club up until 5 years ago when my circumstances changed, this is the only road bike (entry level Felt) I have ever owned and I was pretty fast, but road riding was never my bag
yogi.jpg

Not applicable.

You'd only be humiliated if he was on Strava. He claims to ride more offroad miles than anyone plus all this road stuff. I'm starting to think Tracksterman is a pussy! 😂

That’s the thing about this day and age. Nothing can be bullshitted. Back in the day , I had a mate that always managed to do a double backflip no hander whilst fingering a bird at the local jumpspot when nobody was there but couldn’t manage a bunny hop when we were.
Nowadays everything is recorded and if anyone ever asks if you are quick it’s a solid “NO” as 10 seconds on strava makes you realise you are slow.

Assuming Yogi CC is the group they are fairly easy to find and see their rides. There is some big miles being covered in that group let me tell you …… 😝

That’s the thing about this day and age. Nothing can be bullshitted. Back in the day , I had a mate that always managed to do a double backflip no hander whilst fingering a bird at the local jumpspot when nobody was there but couldn’t manage a bunny hop when we were.
Nowadays everything is recorded and if anyone ever asks if you are quick it’s a solid “NO” as 10 seconds on strava makes you realise you are slow.

Assuming Yogi CC is the group they are fairly easy to find and see their rides. There is some big miles being covered in that group let me tell you …… 😝
This has made me think, I have had 4 months off work and been cycling like a twat on a heavy bike, ideal groundwork for the Dartmoor Classic 2023, 1st and 2nd of July, I dont own a road bike but if circumstances allow I may well ride the 103 mile route and if I post the result here, that will tell you all you need to know, I have ridden it a few times in the past so once more for old times sake wouldnt hurt, I cant make a solid commitment just yet because I have just started a new job and it depends on the hours I will be working, but I would love to do it again, its a great event, and I will ride my old Raleigh hybrid with 700x23c tyres and no bell!!!, I dont have anything to prove, back when I rode with the Yogis a couple of times a week I was the only guy on a flat bar hybrid with mudguards, I didnt need a road bike, I was fast enough and what I had was cheap and comfortable, so thats all I used, I was known as "flat bar" I will let you know if I can ride it.......anybody else up for it ??

No judgement, you ride for why you ride, but I'll ride for me and I won't enter a pissing contest, if I roll past you I'll say hi and if you roll past me you'll get the same.

If you worry about being judged then that's your issue, but Ive found that most people are so self absorbed that they aren't even looking past their stem, half are just naval gazing.

This has made me think, I have had 4 months off work and been cycling like a twat on a heavy bike, ideal groundwork for the Dartmoor Classic 2023, 1st and 2nd of July, I dont own a road bike but if circumstances allow I may well ride the 103 mile route and if I post the result here, that will tell you all you need to know, I have ridden it a few times in the past so once more for old times sake wouldnt hurt, I cant make a solid commitment just yet because I have just started a new job and it depends on the hours I will be working, but I would love to do it again, its a great event, and I will ride my old Raleigh hybrid with 700x23c tyres and no bell!!!, I dont have anything to prove, back when I rode with the Yogis a couple of times a week I was the only guy on a flat bar hybrid with mudguards, I didnt need a road bike, I was fast enough and what I had was cheap and comfortable, so thats all I used, I was known as "flat bar" I will let you know if I can ride it.......anybody else up for it ??
Dartmoor classic eh? I'm going to be riding that...are mirrors compulsory?

Do they have a junior group called Boo-boo? If they don’t. They should.

Fair play if you are doing that at a decent pace. But as mentioned, I don’t think anyone watching you is judging/ caring in any way. It was you that made the comparison to the carbon framed di2 bike and surprising them ….

When I’m riding , I acknowledge folk but I couldn’t tell you what bike they are on. Headphones are on and head full of nothing. Don’t care to be fair unless it’s Zaskar or something retro. I see a few old boys out and respect them for still riding regularly regardless of bike but it’s very very rare they are fast. Steady and covering miles for sure but not fast as likely as we age we care less about riding head down and flat out.

Back