Wow, you really went to town with it. Really nice. I have considered a Joey, I like it a lot. The fold is a bit less convenient I think?
If you compare the fold to a Brompton (horrible lumps of scaffold pole), then the fold is more complicated. It's been a while but iirc yo undo a qr, pop off the front wheel, fold the rear under into the void the front wheel was in, pop the bars off and slot into holder. Fit front wheel into carrier. .

I think it took about 30 seconds.

I haven't seen anything to beat the Brompton fold. Even a partial fold can be useful eg leave the handle bars and you can drag it almost like luggage rather than having to wheel it. Handy in some situations.

Agree on the scaffold pole tubing.

Have a read of Tim Moore's "The cyclist that went out in the cold " to see what a shopping/ folder can do.
"Scaling a new peak of rash over-ambition, Tim Moore tackles the 9,000km route of the old Iron Curtain on a tiny-wheeled, two-geared East German shopping bike."

Sounds like an interesting read.

"Scaling a new peak of rash over-ambition, Tim Moore tackles the 9,000km route of the old Iron Curtain on a tiny-wheeled, two-geared East German shopping bike."

Sounds like an interesting read.
His books are a good read. He's also done books on the three grand tours, riding the routes of classic years and including lots of facts about that particular years tour.

Mezzo from un folded. Folded. Lift bars. Disengage front wheel from clip. Pull away from frame. Roll wheel into fork ends, dont forget quick release! Lift seat post do up q/r, lift and rotate back end until catch engages. Turn bars and un fold pedals. Thick stay forms part of the stand when folded. Hope this is ok.

Attachments

• P1060142.JPG
    P1060142.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1060143.JPG
    P1060143.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1060144.JPG
    P1060144.JPG
    446.1 KB · Views: 15
  • P1060145.JPG
    P1060145.JPG
    568.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1060146.JPG
    P1060146.JPG
    539.4 KB · Views: 18
  • P1060147.JPG
    P1060147.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1060148.JPG
    P1060148.JPG
    528.3 KB · Views: 21
I like folders and would love to own one, but at my weight I'd need something pretty bulky anyway, which I feel would defeat the purpose of a folder, that is why I'm not getting one. Even most heavy duty steel folders seem to be aimed at 250 lbs and below.
In the sixties Batavus made a "Dutch" bicycle that was foldable. I am sure this will have no weight limit. They are a bit rare, though..
Edit, also not very light.

Last edited:
Back