Foldable bicycles: I have always found them interesting, from the seventies on, when we saw these shapes in the Netherlands. Every reputable firm built them, this is a Batavus:

1200px-Batavus_vouwfiets.jpg

I guess you know them as folding shoppers.

Then came the Bromptons, with their quick fold, and the Dahons, Terns, Airnimals, Birdies and Mezzos. Moultons are not quite folders but some are divisible.

In this thread I want to share some interesting folders from the past, and you are invited to share your thoughts on foldable bicycles, be it good, bad or indifferent. If you own a folder, please share a picture, I would like to see it, and hopefully there are more who do. There have been a few threads on folders over the years, but I thought a new one may be worthwhile. S&S couplers! Oh, and what about Rinko? Anyone into that?

After a few months some things have sneaked into the thread, like bicycles that are demontable and minivelos: bikes with small wheels that do not fold. These are very welcome!
Do you feel the seat is following you?

Damn this tread! Now I have the urge to rebuild my first folder. I want to revert back to 305 sized wheels, so that's the first thing to build. Tool shown for scale. It's like knitting a wedding ring 🥴

IMG_20230227_193016.jpg

It even has a bottle generator mount.
yep, which is still in a bag in a box in the loft where it can stay. :)

rear light on the mud guard is there for show only, it have never been wired in.

I should show it a bit more love, but I just don't like riding it. it fits in the boot of my little car but other than that it lives in the loft unloved.

Latest posts

Back