Hub gears. Its the future.
They are. I like both derailleurs and hub gears. I will probably change to a rohloff on my daily because it just does what it needs to do. Easy to service too but I prefer the tactile feel of derailleur shifting, the noise, the positive click of the shifter and then the brief chain stutter. Shame that second hand rohloffs don't come up often but I will keep an eye out

They are. I like both derailleurs and hub gears. I will probably change to a rohloff on my daily because it just does what it needs to do. Easy to service too but I prefer the tactile feel of derailleur shifting, the noise, the positive click of the shifter and then the brief chain stutter. Shame that second hand rohloffs don't come up often but I will keep an eye out
Or ever really.
Both my folders (no where near as nice as your stuff) are derailleur. I now have a nexus hub but I'm planing that for something else I think.

Mini velo, what is it? They are full size frames accommodating smaller wheels, usually 20 inch. Apparently they originate from Japan, and are seen used in other places in Asia. They are easy to carry up narrow mountain passes or stairways in appartment buildings, easy to store as well as nimble on the road and they gain speed more quickly than a larger tyre bicycle. Some say the small wheel bicycles from the 60s are the origin for these bicycles, like the original Moulton. As they are obviously related to folding bicycles I decided to add them to the thread. Thanks to @dbwheels

Below is a custom built one by C.S. Hirose, a brilliant Japanese builder who passed away just recently. There is a youtube channel on his work, that comes highly recommended. The Hirose is showcased with lots more photos and info on the René Herse blog.

minivelo_full2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back