Bike Friday make custom built folding bicycles in Oregon US. This is a "Pocket Rocket" folding road bike. It weighs 10,5 kilograms

bike_friday_pocket_rocket_1999.jpg

speed_006.jpg

speed_002.jpg

Problem I have is that at nearly 20 stone and 6'5" im either too heavy for most folders, often by a serious margin, or physically too big. Or both. The Brompton feels violently unstable but comes close to managing the weight, whereas the 20" Terns are more stable with my loftiness aboard but can't take the weight.

The only one that both fits and has the payload capacity is the Carrera Intercity disc 9, which was clearly inspired by the Tern. By an awesome piece of luck this model scored higher in Road.cc's test than any folder they had ever tested, so I was reassured enough to gpvuy one. And they weren't kidding, it's brilliant to ride.

Bad news is the railways are perpetually on strike and the whole point of me getting it was to ride the 8 miles to the station, Bob down on the train, ride between stations in London, and then ride 3 miles from the destination station to my Dad's gaff. Last time I managed it was July, and every time I've wanted to go again the strikers strike again.

Problem I have is that at nearly 20 stone and 6'5" im either too heavy for most folders, often by a serious margin, or physically too big. Or both. The Brompton feels violently unstable but comes close to managing the weight, whereas the 20" Terns are more stable with my loftiness aboard but can't take the weight.

The only one that both fits and has the payload capacity is the Carrera Intercity disc 9, which was clearly inspired by the Tern. By an awesome piece of luck this model scored higher in Road.cc's test than any folder they had ever tested, so I was reassured enough to gpvuy one. And they weren't kidding, it's brilliant to ride.

Bad news is the railways are perpetually on strike and the whole point of me getting it was to ride the 8 miles to the station, Bob down on the train, ride between stations in London, and then ride 3 miles from the destination station to my Dad's gaff. Last time I managed it was July, and every time I've wanted to go again the strikers strike again.
Can we see a pic of the Carrera?

We have had rail strikes in the Netherlands as well. But they take place per province, one at a time. So most days you can travel. Do you pay for bringing a folder on the train?

Back