FOES LTS 1995 BIG RED

Re:

The shakedown!

So today I finally got to go for a proper ride. I am still battling some bronchitis but had to get out of the house after being couped up for a week or so.

Out to Stromlo where I pedaled up the XC course and then took on the world cup DH course.

Some observations;
  • Bronchitis sucks for lung capacity

This bike pedals up hill ridiculously well. At first, whilst pedaling through some contours, I though something was binding up in the drive train, but soon realised that when applying load to the suspension and drive train simultaneously, the chain tension pulls the suspension taught. Fantastic!

When I bought the frame, I had no idea what length the stock shock was. I sourced a cheap 190/51mm shock but it is now very clear that this is too long. The BB is far too high and COG is too high, which is very apparent on steep downhills. This is compounded by the fact that I have been riding the same DH course on an Intense 951 which is well sorted

I managed negotiate the course without the front Spinergy exploding

Head turner?! Yes!

Brakes - Oh dear! No comparison to the Stroker Ace on the 951. I had a few moments rolling into sections too fast, one finger on the brake and not a whole lot of braking action!
    The pads still need to bed into the rim, so I am not heart broken, but modern brakes really are exceptionally good.

I finished the ride without thinking about the fork. It did not top out, bottom out, deflect, or do anything wrong at all. It was great!

Wheelbase - the LTS is about 90mm shorter than the 951 (which I ride in it's shortest configuration). This is compounded with the high COG, but cornering through the switchbacks was amazing. Also, the Stromlo DH course is a bit "pedally" and the Foes is a far superior pedaling machine. I hit a few of the easy gaps and the bike ate it up. I did not have any concerning moments, which isn't bad for a Frankenstein build.

I finished the ride with a run down the 4X track, and managed to pull a decent pancake over the last jump. I like this bike, it needs some tweaking but it is fun!

So I am looking for a 175-180mm rear shock, preferably a coil spring unit with adjustable damping.

image_zps8ap4zkgn.jpg

And it has now been washed! :D

Jeffro

Back