Fitting u brake to Marin Bear Valley

Fucawi

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Esteemed peeps!

I have a 1989/90 Marin Bear Valley (gloss black frame, gold decals) and have just sourced a very tidy and complete Shimano M453 U brake for it. Not sure if this was original kit, but would like to fit it if possible. For an under chain stay mounting position what fittings do I need? Can I fit it at all if there are no mounting lugs? Brake is complete with brace and adjusting cam. Currently using M453 canti brakes with Mountain LX shifter/ brake lever combos.

Any advice?

This won't help you one little bit, apart from the bump, as I don't know the answer to the question. Sorry.
I just wondered what your impressions of the bear valley are? How does it ride, what is the kit like?
I'm after one of these having briefly rode and then missed out on one in July 1989.
Thanks,
Sam

Cantilever and U-brake posts were set at different points on your frame, sadly you wont be able to fit a U-brake without getting bosses welded on or using one of these

u%20brake%20adapter%20black.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but no, you won't be able to fit it. I'm pretty sure there was a Bear Valley with a chain stay mounted u-brake but if yours has seat stay mounts for canti's then it's not going to work.

Sorry, previous post written while I was still typing

Gents,

fantastic input, will look into the tektro converter, but I already feared that i wouldn't be able to complete the M453 set. I assume that I would need a different cable guide under the BB if I were to proceed.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, there may be a mint U Brake up for sale soon...

The Marin is a really nice bike to ride, frame geometry is comfortable and reasonably responsive. Good bike to sit on for long rides, considering that it doesn't have suspension forks.

The U brakes fitted to the Bear Valley, Pallisades Trail and possibly others, were fitted on the 1990 models to tha smallest frames only. I know this as I rebuilt a 1990 Pallisades for my wife, to try and replace the Bear Valley I persuaded her to sell many years ago (she has never forgiven me for that).

The bike we have came with a Shimano U brake, and as others have said, the bosses are a different size, so not compatable with anything else.

In addition, the brakes themselves are pretty unimpressive when compared to normal cantis, let alone V brakes. They might work better if I could figure out how the booster works (the one with the eccentric adjuster at one side).

My advice, stick with the cantis.

Hi, your Bear Valley doesn't look like this does it?

Alice11thBirthday063.jpg

Alice11thBirthday066.jpg

Alice11thBirthday052.jpg

Alice11thBirthday051.jpg

As I am trying to work out the year of this one, I thought it might be 1988.....its a project I now have on the go.

That does look older and could likely be an 88. The decals look like the previous model and the u brake would fit as well. Not sure about the DX shifters and the Exage Mountain rear dérailleur.

Back