Fitting Fox Vanilla RC shock to Marin Rift Zone FRS, help!

Spudly

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
As title, i recently acquired a Fox air rear shock from a really helpful seller on here, and during the discussion process the seller asked if I minded if they kept the spacer bush things that you fit it to the bike with, I replied that i had a set on the shock currently fitted on the bike so that wouldn't be a problem...

Famous last words :facepalm:

Mine don't fit, the center bore on the shock is bigger than the spacer bushes i have so they rattle round in the holes, and the bit that slots inside the shock is longer so both sides meet in the middle and the shock is then free to rattle about in every direction, side to side as well as up/down forward/back!

Now im not going to pester the seller as they asked me fairly if they could keep them and I agreed to this so there is no issue there, CRC do alsorts of weird and wonderful spacers and such to allow fitment (albeit listed as manitou i think they are) but the measurements confuddle me greatly, could anyone advise what sizes i would need to fit said shock, to said bike as its been hung up on the rack out of use for a while due to the seals failing in the shock works shock i had fitted :cry:

Shock is a Fox Air, Vanilla Float RC, and the bike is a 1997 Rift Zone FRS, any info as to where i can source correct fitting bushes/spacers, or if anyone has some they want to donate or exchange for beer tokens I will be much appreciative!

Thank you in advance, John.

Re:

Just had a though, do the Fox Vanilla Coil ones fit? If so you can use/borrow/measure mine tonight.

Given its on a Marin of same design and age.

Ive not got a clue tbf Ben, ill be on the caldera tonight so its not dead important, but id like to get it sorted soon as i miss my bouncy marin lol!

Btw the loan of the tool has sorted my creaky/clicky crank issues on said kona, ill return the tool tonight, thank you most muchly!

Re:

When I built a Wolf Ridge circa '99/00 for my daughter I changed the coil shock for a Rockshox SID Race air shock and used these,
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ong+Bushes
Recently the seals went on the SID and until I could find the proper seal kit tried to refit the coil shock (Shockworks?) using the mounts for SID but found they were too big to fit in shock bushes, luckily found the original mounts/spacers for coil shock so could fit it.
Some shocks bushes have an internal diameter of 12mm others 1/2" (12.7mm), this might help, http://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mou ... ks-a-guide

Have a look on eBay for the mount/spacer kits, they are sometimes cheaper than buying off BETD although not by much.

Re:

They are called reducers not bushes

They are sized for the shock and then the distance between the mounting brackets and also for the size of bolt required

If its a Fox into a marin then you should speak to Mojo Suspension and measure the distance between the internal faces of the mounts and they should be able to provide fairly quickly and cheaply

Back