Fitting bar tape

The key thing is that the bar tape wraps from the rear forwards over the top of the bars. That way your hands tighten the tape a little when riding and it will never loosen.
If you start with it anticlockwise on the left and clockwise on the right you will be fine - also it will look a V-shape / chevron looking down from above. 'Sergeant Bar Tape' is the way I remember it.

Anyone here remember the black foam tube covering for drop bars from the '80's? Made the bars twice the diameter once fitted but actually quite comfy for on the tops riding and a popular mod for touring bikes back then. Quite awkward to fit around the bar curves as had to be cut into two sections for either side of the brake lever clamp, in the rain it absorbed water like the sponge it was which meant wet hands long after the rain had stopped. Surprised that the gravel bike crowd have yet to 'discover' this product :LOL:

Anyone here remember the black foam tube covering for drop bars from the '80's? Made the bars twice the diameter once fitted but actually quite comfy for on the tops riding and a popular mod for touring bikes back then. Quite awkward to fit around the bar curves as had to be cut into two sections for either side of the brake lever clamp, in the rain it absorbed water like the sponge it was which meant wet hands long after the rain had stopped. Surprised that the gravel bike crowd have yet to 'discover' this product :LOL:
@Imlach Someone wants you brother.

I like them. I can't wrap bar wrap because I'm an imbecile. I buy cheapo generic foam grips for butterfly bars and cut to size. Xlc does some cheap ones with a nice thickness. Better than the "grab on" ones I'd argue.

Zero hassle to fit, bit of soapy water and they slide right on. If they drift a bit over time I use a syringe to fill rubbing alcohol under and manipulate

20240417_203248-01.jpeg 20240421_175938-01.jpeg

The key thing is that the bar tape wraps from the rear forwards over the top of the bars. That way your hands tighten the tape a little when riding and it will never loosen.
If you start with it anticlockwise on the left and clockwise on the right you will be fine - also it will look a V-shape / chevron looking down from above. 'Sergeant Bar Tape' is the way I remember it.

I was waiting for this detail very often overlooked. Yup. Chevron / imaginary spear-head in the front when looking down.

Do need to admit, it's one of those jobs I rarely enjoy because I don't do it that regular and don't seem to have the reflex' and muscle memory - I just take my time and don't rush it.

I like them. I can't wrap bar wrap because I'm an imbecile. I buy cheapo generic foam grips for butterfly bars and cut to size. Xlc does some cheap ones with a nice thickness. Better than the "grab on" ones I'd argue.

Zero hassle to fit, bit of soapy water and they slide right on. If they drift a bit over time I use a syringe to fill rubbing alcohol under and manipulate

View attachment 868330View attachment 868331
I was struggling to remember the brand of the aforementioned foam bar covering, Grab On is the one! Thanks for detailing. We all plough our own furrows so to speak and definitely no criticism implied.

There are 2 kinds of foam sleeves -
Closed cell, feels quality, doesn't hold water, and
Open cell, feels rough and cheap, bulky and sponge like.
Price, as always, reflects quality🙄

One of my bikes prior to the previous owner modifying it. "Open cell" foam tubing. I think it was as old as the bike!
20201222_122213~2.jpg 20201222_122213~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back