First post and a Marin Bear Valley 1995

tree-magnet

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

First post on retro bike as I've just picked up a bike that I found rusting down the side of someones shed. Poor thing. I started biking back in the late 80's, and rode a Spesh Hardrock sport in lovely purple at the time. I always lusted after pimp bike bits, scouring the adverts in MBUK and speccing up my dream bike. I'd have loved a Fat Chance and maybe I'll get one in due time, but for now I'd like to do up this poor old Bear Valley.

Anyways, I work overseas and I picked this bike up on the last day of leave before I returned out here. The idea is to retro pimp it while I'm out here, but unfortunatly I didn't have time to check all the stuff before I left, so I've no idea of diameters and sizes of everything. I was wondering if there's somewhere I can find all this stuff out? Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum for that!! The frame's a 19", and as far as I can tell everything on it is original, with the exception of the tyres and saddle. She needs a bit of TLC, the poor old girl, including some paint touch up here and there, so if anyone know's the RAL numbers that would be good.

I'll popping up some wanted threads in the near future and a few pics of the build as it develops when I get home!

Anyway....

Hi!

Gleaming, thanks a lot. That appears to be quite different to mine then, someone must have started to upgrade when they owned it as a lot of the parts are Deore LX.

I remember the bear valley was mainly STX when I was shopping around and ended up with my (long gone ) 94 Marin Rocky Ridge (which was more expensive, ally frame, and had LX gears)

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get touch up paint from, or failing that a new set of decals and the RAL number for the frame to get it re done as new?

gil_m a registered user on here will sort you out with decals, does a very good job. Think i've had 6 sets off him so far :D

Welcome!

You will find 2 things happen in short order once you join RB.

1) You are delighted to realise that the dream bike of your teenage years is now within your grasp.

2) You get on friendly terms with your postman, and your wife starts to use a new (slightly bewildered and judgmental) voice for "you have a parcel".

:D

haggis":x6hh54qm said:
gil_m a registered user on here will sort you out with decals, does a very good job. Think i've had 6 sets off him so far :D

Gleaming. Now all I need to do is find out the RAL colour for a platinum coloured Marin...

Last time I was out here I built up 3 bikes and limited myself to buying one component a week. My missis was on first name terms with the postie by the time I got back! lol (At least, I hope that was why she was on first name terms with him... :-?)

Latest posts

Back