First MTB's

I bought a Cannondale R2000 (if I am not mistaken) in 1989 or 1990 with the first Dura-Ace STI road group. It looked stunning, but rode like shit. I never enjoyed riding it, so I sold it and bought my first mountainbike: a Rocky Mountain Summit RL from 1991. Highly expensive those days naturally. Still have it and recently restored it to it's original state.
image_bike8.jpg

A 15 speed Raleigh Maverick was my first MTB. It was a 19 or 20" frame which fitted me just fine. Bought in 1984 for 175 pounds. I can still remember feeling on top of the world as I cycled through Aberdeen to the train station to take it home.

My 1st

My 1st was a 1984/85 Muddy Fox Courier, then 86/87 Explorer with Disc wheel - a very nice bike! real head turner at the time & loads of 'new' technology. rollercam brakes, elepitical cracks etc, combination brake/gear lever that we not alloy!!

Wow, some memories really bring brought back on this post :D

My first ride was an '87 Peugeot Alpina* from Halfords.. Shimano Tourney friction gears [that I later indexed], metalic gun mteal paintjob in an 18" variety.. Saved up all Summer to pay for it, loved it.. Then crashed it into a ditch and bent the frame about a year later :roll:

* I think it was renamed the Lynx a year or so later and had crappier stickers etc.

Falcon Cheetah. Black frame, white forks, 15 non-indexed gears.

Upgraded with Suntour XCM drivetrain later in its life.

It really was a heap, but I have many happy memories of it.

this thread is amazing!

nostalgia isnt what it used to be huh?

mine was an 87/88 saracen tufftrax, my dads 1st Gen Muddy Fox courier and then the original Kona Cinder Cone with the yellow and red splats!

i loved those bikes!

saracen4_108.jpg

cindercone_127.jpg

My first MTB was a Universal Super Slicker that I bought from Charlie Browns (like Halfords) in Poole. It cost £200 and had a Shimano Exage groupset. First time out I fell off it and buckled the back wheel. CB's replaced it FOC. Next time out I bent the frame which CB again replaced FOC. I never got round to swapping the frame and rode it for years with a bent frame until I got my Alpinestars frame . I swapped all the components from the Universal onto the AS and the chainset is still going strong. Everything is worn out or broken. I recently I built up the 'new' replacement Universal frame with a 1950's Cyclemaster. What a hoot!

Me?

A 1989 Raleigh Mirage (one up from a Maverick I think)

501 Reynolds frame

Exage Country group set

Luckily it was a late one so didn't have the awful U brake under the chain stays.

Oh what memories!

Vindec trekker in 1986, then a Raleigh something grim and next a 1988 Cinelli 'Mountain' bike with a 7 colour neon fade paint job. About 22" frame (I'm 5'7" so it was a real good fit). Eventually I had it resprayed in S-Works maroon and fitted decent bits and purple bolts. It got stolen, bought a Titan 1/2 trak (20" frame - I hadn't learnt much), then the slippery slope began...

Somewhere in the dark recesses I have a photo of me proudly stood next to it in it's original state with my specialized airforce lycra covered helmet on, like that will ever see the light of day again!

Back