First DOGS BOLX produced...ex Dave Hemming?

Re: Re:

Unfortunately the TiLite sold earlier this summer. Happily it’s still on here with Carge.

The “problem” I have with the DB is not with the frame itself per-se, more that I can’t quite decide what bits to put on which bike. I’ve sold my Yo so I’ve still got Fuquay, DeKerf, Bontrager. All from the same period. And I want different “standout” parts on each bike, but, as we’ve discussed before I think, some of my favourite parts don’t fit some of my bikes, ok the Bontrager Composite fork in particular does not work with either my White Industries or TNT hubs that I would like to put on it. But the Bontrager-CK Racelite wheels do fit, but you can’t put American hubs (the now spare WI And TNT) on a DB or a Fuquay so they’ll have to go on the DeKerf but that looks better with the Hope or Middleburn bits, but they are going on the Fuquay and (if I keep it) the DB. Then there is the Y33 which is the correct age for the CK-Bontrager hubs and CBR e-cranks, but it needs v-brakes which means M950 which does not go well with shiny American bling. It’s exhausting (and fun), but I probably just need a bit of a rest from it all!

I probably also need a Merlin Ti but that is a different story!

sinnerman":24twih46 said:
mheywoo1":24twih46 said:
Correct, that is mine.

And if you view the thread on this very site section from a few weeks back, you can see how transparent I am about what it owes me. Clearly I’ve applied eBay and PayPal tax as, well, why wouldn’t I? I bought it on eBay and I’m selling it on eBay. It’s usually a different story on stuff I buy on here, much of which I’ve passed onto other members at the same price I paid, or if I do put it on eBay where there is a much bigger target audience (see following paragraph), my starting price is usually what I paid and I let the market decide.

Despite what some people on here think, most people I sell to, especially overseas buyers, have no idea this website exists so to suggest that most potential buyers will be joining in, or just looking at, these threads is not accurate in my experience

I’ll certainly be watching the yellow one with interest. Personally I think the seller is missing a trick by selling it with those components. I don’t think they will add much to the final selling price, yet he could get £150 - £200 for them Alone. Like mine, the frame will Need a strip, a few dents filling and a repaint. Plus quite a lot of easy, but the cost will soon add up, rectifications to re-instate brake Canti bosses, cable hanger, relocation of cable stops and removal of the disc brake mount. As discussed in the thread about my frame where some were alarmed about how the paint looked after heat had been applied to remove the stuck seatpost, none of this work will affect the structural integrity of the frame, but for authenticity it would probably be best if done by Geoff Roberts.

jimprince":24twih46 said:

I dont think everybody is as gentlemanly when its comes to selling as you...!

im surprised you have put it up for sale after looking for one for so long, especially given what could be achieved with refinishing it, like you say.

And i have to agree with your costing out of the work involved when compared to the yellow one for sale, as anybody who has gone down the path of having a frame refinished and re-instated properly will know, for sure.

I think you should keep it, realize the dream, and sell me your bontrager ti-lite. ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Back on topic, the cable stops on the yellow DB are not in the same positions I’m used to seeing on these frames. Could have been customer request when built I guess. Any thoughts from those more expert on Roberts than me?

mheywoo1":3evxq3jq said:
Unfortunately the TiLite sold earlier this summer. Happily it’s still on here with Carge.

The “problem” I have with the DB is not with the frame itself per-se, more that I can’t quite decide what bits to put on which bike. I’ve sold my Yo so I’ve still got Fuquay, DeKerf, Bontrager. All from the same period. And I want different “standout” parts on each bike, but, as we’ve discussed before I think, some of my favourite parts don’t fit some of my bikes, ok the Bontrager Composite fork in particular does not work with either my White Industries or TNT hubs that I would like to put on it. But the Bontrager-CK Racelite wheels do fit, but you can’t put American hubs (the now spare WI And TNT) on a DB or a Fuquay so they’ll have to go on the DeKerf but that looks better with the Hope or Middleburn bits, but they are going on the Fuquay and (if I keep it) the DB. Then there is the Y33 which is the correct age for the CK-Bontrager hubs and CBR e-cranks, but it needs v-brakes which means M950 which does not go well with shiny American bling. It’s exhausting (and fun), but I probably just need a bit of a rest from it all!

I probably also need a Merlin Ti but that is a different story!

sinnerman":3evxq3jq said:

I dont think everybody is as gentlemanly when its comes to selling as you...!

im surprised you have put it up for sale after looking for one for so long, especially given what could be achieved with refinishing it, like you say.

And i have to agree with your costing out of the work involved when compared to the yellow one for sale, as anybody who has gone down the path of having a frame refinished and re-instated properly will know, for sure.

I think you should keep it, realize the dream, and sell me your bontrager ti-lite. ;)

I think you and i are similar with our thought process, i have several stalled builds, which could be built with components i have, they would be respectable, fitting and do the job, but i still tussle with myself.

What im enjoying about this thread is the content and whats been displayed so far. The basic ingredient is the frame, all of them dbs, most we see are the classic black and whit team colours, and most end up being built the same way, xt/xtr, pace middleburn, x-lite etc etc.

If this thread has shown us anything, its that with a little thought, we can and should think outside the box and not be so restrained with out conservative choices, the ad you found (shown below, inspres me no end.) I would never have thought to mate a Formula fork with a DB frame, (and i have a formula fork alas not going spare) but it works so well.

It showed me that the only restriction is us. For example the carbon fork looks so good on it, even an early Specialized suspension fork would be a nice option.

I fear its only us that stop us from thinking outside the realms of whats considered fitting.

Lets face it, why couldnt we fit ultimate parts from the USA to the Ultimate frame fabricated in the United Kingdom.

Attachments

• THE LEGEND THEY CALL THE D.O.G.S  B.O.L.O.X.jpg
    THE LEGEND THEY CALL THE D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Roberts-Cycles-advert-MTB-Pro-95.jpg
    Roberts-Cycles-advert-MTB-Pro-95.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 368
Re:

On the point of fitting parts : I have a White Spider in what looks like very original custom spec, with Cooks cranks, a WTB/King headset, salsa stem, IRD seatpost... rest is 3ttt handlebar (common on Roberts) some xt and campagnolo rims, suntour brakes.
So plenty of US boutique parts, mixed groupset.

mheywoo1":10hzv4fk said:
Back on topic, the cable stops on the yellow DB are not in the same positions I’m used to seeing on these frames. Could have been customer request when built I guess. Any thoughts from those more expert on Roberts than me?

The cable guide placement is certainly seen more frequently on White Spiders, but it is the same on the Roberts ad which shows the fillet i notice.

Attachments

• s-l1600DFYJHYY.jpg
    s-l1600DFYJHYY.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 358
Re:

It’s such an interesting point..

I have a mint Fat waiting to be built and a stash of Mint British parts that would, objectively, look great on it... buuuut... they’re saved for my Prestige, if I ever get it repainted.

Basically I’m not completing a build because I have some weird prejudice about using UK parts on a US frame.

These days, to my eye, it would seem as incongruous to see a DB with zokes or Manitous as it would an RC 200, or indeed, the aforementioned Prestige.

Back in the 90s though, I mixed and matched parts with abandon, as did my buddies. Cooks and Ringle on a Vit T, USE and X-Lite on my AA.

Hmmm... maybe I’ll pull that Buckshaver out of stasis and get building...

BlackCat":3l2d7z31 said:

I have a mint Fat waiting to be built and a stash of Mint British parts that would, objectively, look great on it... buuuut... they’re saved for my Prestige, if I ever get it repainted.

Basically I’m not completing a build because I have some weird prejudice about using UK parts on a US frame.

These days, to my eye, it would seem as incongruous to see a DB with zokes or Manitous as it would an RC 200, or indeed, the aforementioned Prestige.

Back in the 90s though, I mixed and matched parts with abandon, as did my buddies. Cooks and Ringle on a Vit T, USE and X-Lite on my AA.

It's as much about the look of the parts though. The fancy Ringle hubs, etc. wouldn't look right at all, but the Paris Dakar's or XT's look perfect IMO. Or White Ind for that matter.
Campag goes beautifully as it's more ornate than a typical CNC item. It's frustrating as I really want a Ringle stem, hubs, and all manner of other stuff, but I don't have a suitable frame for it.

Seca Blue":vym0vcz6 said:
BlackCat":vym0vcz6 said:

It's as much about the look of the parts though. The fancy Ringle hubs, etc. wouldn't look right at all, but the Paris Dakar's or XT's look perfect IMO. Or White Ind for that matter.
Campag goes beautifully as it's more ornate than a typical CNC item. It's frustrating as I really want a Ringle stem, hubs, and all manner of other stuff, but I don't have a suitable frame for it.

Looking at the example above, turned my head and perhaps for the first time, Grafton Cranks sit well, the Dean Titanium post compliments the frame, and you could easily elaborate the thought process further, by complementing the Carbon fork (whether Formula or Specialized etc) with say a pair of Nuke Proof Carbon Hubs, a U.S Carbon Bar. For the Brakes, Grafton would be the perfect fit (the design that Campag essentially copied).

The nice part is, with a little thought the Frame warrants the best you can afford and the above demonstrates this, caution with a little thought can be thrown to the wind, IMHO.

With that said, who am I to talk, Campag may be crap as a functioning groupset, but I have more than my fair share, and it looks gorgeous, Every time.

Re:

Personally I think a DOGS BOLX is the easiest bike ever to spec - nothing wears Campag Record OR as well as a white + black DB. Just a delicious combo'.

And Carl, Record OR (and Icarus) work really well; much nicer than the earlier stuff ;)

Back