First DOGS BOLX produced...ex Dave Hemming?

Re: Re:

mk one":ty2xazrn said:
BlackCat":ty2xazrn said:
Thing is.. a couple of these bikes have been on for months already.

Anyone that buys a DB knows exactly what they’re looking at.. which means they probably spend half their lives on this fair site.. which means they know market price for one of these.

If owners genuinely want to sell, strip the bike to the frame, start it from £250. You’ll probably get enough people hooked at the low entry price to guarantee a competitive auction.

My penny’s worth.

Auctions are risky, if for example you were selling your house you would advertise the auction weeks or months in advance to get as many people aware of the sale. To put a Roberts up for auction and hope that every one of the possibly interested few is online searching that particular week is wishful. You then have to hope the interested few have the funds spare that week also.

Having sold a lot of high value items over the years on bay i find the best approach is to put it on at the price you want, based on the prices they sell for, there are so many factors to whether someone buys it straight away, which is very rarely, sometimes it can take months, but they always sell, always, despite countless cheeky offers and complaints that it is too high for that person and will never sell. As long as you can hold out and are not desperate then it will.

That strategy appears to have worked for the less than welcoming seller here
:LOL: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=402957&start=0

BlackCat":eczs3oqd said:
Ha..

Okay. On the strength of that thread, I suppose I stand corrected!

The question is how long are you prepared to wait before you find a buyer

In fairness to the Bear78 he held his nerve, but we’ll never know if he got what he was asking ..... or privately dropped his pants on the price and took an offer.

As has been written in previous comments - to the informed few the Roberts is iconic and has the wow factor, to everyone else it’s a white bike with rather naive graffiti and a crazy price attached

The latter was born out by the value placed upon it by the original seller

Re:

What more can be said.....?

Attachments

• Roberts-Cycles-advert-MTB-Pro-95.jpg
    Roberts-Cycles-advert-MTB-Pro-95.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 1,470

Retro Spud":1kqnhkmq said:
mk one":1kqnhkmq said:
BlackCat":1kqnhkmq said:
Thing is.. a couple of these bikes have been on for months already.

Anyone that buys a DB knows exactly what they’re looking at.. which means they probably spend half their lives on this fair site.. which means they know market price for one of these.

If owners genuinely want to sell, strip the bike to the frame, start it from £250. You’ll probably get enough people hooked at the low entry price to guarantee a competitive auction.

My penny’s worth.

Auctions are risky, if for example you were selling your house you would advertise the auction weeks or months in advance to get as many people aware of the sale. To put a Roberts up for auction and hope that every one of the possibly interested few is online searching that particular week is wishful. You then have to hope the interested few have the funds spare that week also.

Having sold a lot of high value items over the years on bay i find the best approach is to put it on at the price you want, based on the prices they sell for, there are so many factors to whether someone buys it straight away, which is very rarely, sometimes it can take months, but they always sell, always, despite countless cheeky offers and complaints that it is too high for that person and will never sell. As long as you can hold out and are not desperate then it will.

That strategy appears to have worked for the less than welcoming seller here
:LOL: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=402957&start=0
Absolutely the antithesis of Retrobike :LOL:

Re:

I see another DB has just popped up on eBay.. frame, Judy FSX, and a couple of other interesting bits attached.

Everything is in rough shape, and the frame has a bit of a ding.... buuuuut the seller started the auction sub-£100.

So I guess we’re all going to get an interesting compare and contrast for the two competing sales approaches inside the next 7 days..

Re:

So congratulations then to the seller and new owner of this Bike; let's also hope that this purchase will also never become a burden to the purchaser and go on to be celebrated. Such a sale is also a tribute Chas Roberts in the value of his work - not so of the author of Velocipede.

Re:

Certainly did.

I took a quick look out of interest with 30 mins to go.. zero bids! Guess someone - two people by the looks of it we’re keeping powder dry until the last min.

Should be interesting seeing what the yellow one trades at, now. Pity it’s not a full bike or we could’ve easily worked out the Mint / Hemming premium..

Back