Fir Gemini front derailleur - beautiful and rare

Mavic ZAP 800, yes, 1992, electronic but not wireless. I just had the chance to get hold of a piece. extremely interesting technique...
Very nice and curious to know how it performs ?

They were highly problematic and failed all the time. Ahead of their time in the early 90's regarding integrating electronic shift to a road bike. If you can find one that works and you don't want it, they go on eBay for around 1000 euros, for just the derailleur and cables.

They were highly problematic and failed all the time. Ahead of their time in the early 90's regarding integrating electronic shift to a road bike. If you can find one that works and you don't want it, they go on eBay for around 1000 euros, for just the derailleur and cables.
mavic zap was not at all problematic and unreliable, on the contrary. the functional principle of not having a motor to switch gears, but using muscle power and using the electric impulse (a small 6V battery) only for the index of the switching direction was great. the successor model mavic mektronic from 1999 proved to be unreliable. the only problem with zap was its absurd price. But what can I say: I just got a titanium frame from 1994 with 100% Mavic equipment (including the ultra-rare crank 632) on ebay for 1700 euros. and the rear derailleur works accurately and precisely.

As this thread has possibly collated more photos and info about FiR Gemini than anywhere else on the internet, I’ll add this that I’ve just found. More pic’s of these delicious, rare parts -

Back