Fir Gemini front derailleur - beautiful and rare

hi guys, so there is someone else who owns two fir geminis, i thought i was the only one. Luckily I was able to get hold of Jon's front derailleur pictured above, so I now have a complete nos/nib group and a group only missing the headset...
By the way, I don't agree with the Campa theory. The shifters not only look different, they are also made much more carefully than was usual at campa at the time. The Gemini shifters have titanium inlays. I'm not sure about the crank, it's a bit like Chorus but it's curved and the back looks very different. The fact that the brakes and brake levers are from Modolo is probably the only fixed point of reference, but also much more delicate and prettier than all Modolos that I know. The seat post I'm pretty sure is Selcof, the derailleur reminds me a bit of Campa Euclid and a bit of Suntour Superbe Pro. The headset looks relatively "old fashioned" for its 1989 release date, it could have been made by OMAS or FT Bologna. But the riddle of all riddles is of course the rear derailleur: Identical geometry with Dura Ace 7402, similar weight and above all the two adjusting screws arranged one above the other, but a finishing that is only known from Campa. I love this group, don't know of any nicer ones from that time.

hi guys, so there is someone else who owns two fir geminis, i thought i was the only one. Luckily I was able to get hold of Jon's front derailleur pictured above, so I now have a complete nos/nib group and a group only missing the headset...
By the way, I don't agree with the Campa theory. The shifters not only look different, they are also made much more carefully than was usual at campa at the time. The Gemini shifters have titanium inlays. I'm not sure about the crank, it's a bit like Chorus but it's curved and the back looks very different. The fact that the brakes and brake levers are from Modolo is probably the only fixed point of reference, but also much more delicate and prettier than all Modolos that I know. The seat post I'm pretty sure is Selcof, the derailleur reminds me a bit of Campa Euclid and a bit of Suntour Superbe Pro. The headset looks relatively "old fashioned" for its 1989 release date, it could have been made by OMAS or FT Bologna. But the riddle of all riddles is of course the rear derailleur: Identical geometry with Dura Ace 7402, similar weight and above all the two adjusting screws arranged one above the other, but a finishing that is only known from Campa. I love this group, don't know of any nicer ones from that time.
Thank you and thanks for the info and detailed experience.
And it’s nice to know that such quality and rarity is much appreciated
By Jon do you mean from Disraeli Gears? Or the one sold on eBay?
would be nice to see photos of the complete group!
I’m beginning to really appreciate such things and in hindsight should’ve bid on the eBay sale.

Thank you and thanks for the info and detailed experience.
And it’s nice to know that such quality and rarity is much appreciated
By Jon do you mean from Disraeli Gears? Or the one sold on eBay?
would be nice to see photos of the complete group!
I’m beginning to really appreciate such things and in hindsight should’ve bid on the eBay sale.
Jon from Stereolalab who sold the derailleur on ebay.
I've been collecting road bike groupsets from the 80's and 90's for a few years, the rarer the better, Galli aerodynamic KL, Gipiemme Crono Special, Cambio Rino Elegant, Mavic ZAP, Suntour Superbe Pro, Dura Ace AX and stuff like that. But nothing comes close to this magical FiR Gemini. At some point I will probably sell the NOS/NIB group to a collector who offers me so much money that it will be easy for me to part with it. I'll probably screw the other group to a suitable frame from the early 90s.

Attachments

• IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4901.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 26
the bearing surfaces of both the headset and the bottom bracket are covered with titanium - which makes no sense, but we know what the word "titanium" evoked in people around 1990. The bottom bracket is apparently available in two versions, the seat post in two lengths. Which, in view of the obviously extremely small edition, seems pretty absurd, but delights the collector's heart.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5078.jpeg
    IMG_5078.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5079.jpeg
    IMG_5079.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5054.jpeg
    IMG_5054.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the site FloHo, great to see another Gemini collector. I’m incredibly envious of your groupsets especially the NOS one! - really superb stuff.
It’s interesting what you say about the shifters. From memory, yours are somewhat different to the ones I bought (but didn’t receive!) a couple of years ago. ‘Mine’ looked very similar to Campag C Record and lacked the wedge shaped contour at the ends. Perhaps they were from a different FiR groupset? I’ve also seen two versions of the brake levers described as being Gemini; the other had white hoods. Have you encountered those?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Jon from Stereolalab who sold the derailleur on ebay.
I've been collecting road bike groupsets from the 80's and 90's for a few years, the rarer the better, Galli aerodynamic KL, Gipiemme Crono Special, Cambio Rino Elegant, Mavic ZAP, Suntour Superbe Pro, Dura Ace AX and stuff like that. But nothing comes close to this magical FiR Gemini. At some point I will probably sell the NOS/NIB group to a collector who offers me so much money that it will be easy for me to part with it. I'll probably screw the other group to a suitable frame from the early 90s.
Thank you for sharing the photos - man, absolutely stunning and precious !!
You should post these on the road bike forum - wastes here on the eBay marketplace watch
And you have sublime taste my friend - thanks for the heads up with the marques - I’m going to have a look. Out of curiosity is it the gold and black Suntour superbe pro you have ?

I’ve just only recently made the foray into rare and exquisite Italian components
Having struck a deal for a Tiso Altore 366 rear mech here recently, which is going on my Bianchi MTB. Then I’ll be looking for the front mech

Back