Fat Chance Kickstarter

novekili said:
Mr.Toad: Do you have to readjust eccentric hubs after every ride? Didn't know that....Why?

Maybe a slight exaggeration, I have to adjust every 3rd ride or so. If not the chain is so slack it starts flopping around and gets dangerously close to hitting the stays, plus I like to keep the slack as consistent as possible.

In any case, riders who ride geared bikes have never been enthusiastic about slider dropouts: too heavy. I'd never buy a slider dropout equipped bike, unless it was a 26er (you can slide dropouts outwards to use 27.5 tyres). Mr. Chance had probably decided to present a first model to satisfy the majority of the customers, and I suppose they'll offer Paragon dropouts as an option as the YO reaches full production, as Dean, Moots, and all the other custom builders do.

Totally agree. There is no reason for over complicate the frame if not necessary.

Re:

Wow. For some reason the email alerts for this thread stopped for me. I just spent the last 15 minutes catching up. I agree, the forks are not what I was expecting. The cable routing is fine IMO, but damn, something needs to be done about the forks. I was one of the people who wrote (not taking credit btw) Chris asking for a rigid fork option. Actually, I am going to shoot off an email now...

Re: Re:

ez054098":1j8t1d50 said:
I agree, the forks are not what I was expecting. The cable routing is fine IMO, but damn, something needs to be done about the forks. I was one of the people who wrote (not taking credit btw) Chris asking for a rigid fork option. Actually, I am going to shoot off an email now...

There are tapered steel steer tubes available. The proportions would have look much better if he had used on of those, it would also make it easier to swap between rigid and suspension forks without having to change the bottom cup on the headset. It would be stiffer than the 1 1/8" steerer but that could be offset with the flex the taller fork legs give.

Examples below of forks from Steve Potts and Engin Cycles using tapered steel steerers.

Attachments

• engin cycles fork crown.JPG
    engin cycles fork crown.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 384
  • steve potts - type ii tapered.JPG
    steve potts - type ii tapered.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 384
Re:

file.php

Damn, those Potts forks are beautiful!
What's his waiting list like?

suburbanreuben":2vrd1vg5 said:
file.php

A lot longer than Chris Chance I reckon.

When compared, it really does look like Basil Brush designed the Yo Eddy.

suburbanreuben":un4jsrss said:

When he made me a Type II a couple of years ago, it took about a year, but I think there was a supply issue with the tubing for the crown. He moved into a larger shop recently which may help wait times. It might be around 6 months but it's worth the wait for the quality of the work.

sinnerman":2ng1rvcb said:
suburbanreuben":2ng1rvcb said:
file.php

A lot longer than Chris Chance I reckon.

When compared, it really does look like Basil Brush designed the Yo Eddy.

More likely Mr Roy had a hand in it...

Back