Fat Chance Kickstarter

Re:

the sad truth, the Image of fat Sold this and little more, teeshirts over frames, wasn't really the idea.

but only 26 (or less) people worldwide really got behind it. Not overly confidence building.

Hey ho, its going to be less of a Rave, and more like a dinner party I guess... :LOL:

mmmm, thinking about it though, Profitability wise, better return on tee shirts and stickers, for a lot less hassle.

My 2 cents

Vassago Verhauen has 29" wheels, True Temper OX Platinum tubeset, nice trail geo, space for wide tires, stainless steel horizontal dropouts, sliding 142, stainless steel seattube insert, 44/44mm headtube, nice transparent paintjob. Made by Zen and priced sensibly @ $1100.
http://www.vassagocycles.com/verhauen/

Yo: Basically the same, except vertical dropouts, which are not as modern. Will it have stainless inserts? Frame manufacturing is outsourced, not unlikely to the same Zen. Priced @ $2500.

Conclusion: overpriced.

Re: Re:

sinnerman":vu1lbf1m said:
the sad truth, the Image of fat Sold this and little more, teeshirts over frames, wasn't really the idea.

but only 26 (or less) people worldwide really got behind it. Not overly confidence building.

Hey ho, its going to be less of a Rave, and more like a dinner party I guess... :LOL:

mmmm, thinking about it though, Profitability wise, better return on tee shirts and stickers, for a lot less hassle.

It's all been a bit wet finger in the air but it's not a crime to try to raise funding via KS if he doesn't have the funds. He was a therapist for many years, a linear revenue stream, so prolly had to commit what limited funds he had to preliminary set up for merchandise, operational costs, contracts etc.

Seems a few of the early pioneers made a killing selling out but not Chris and his ex wife. Their bikes were designed and built to a very high standard and that's why their legacy lives on. The market is full of handmade premium bike makers these days so it remains to be seen if the brand pull is enough. At his age it's understandable that he asked customers to put their hands in pockets - money talks, despite the love we all profess. Sure he didn't want to risk being penniless at his age if the demand wasn't really there. It could be that this limited run of frames and merchandise is the end for them. Who knows ? we could all be embroiled in WWIII sooner or later anyways...

I just hope the new frames are worth the wait :D

M-Power":qdteovxw said:
It's all been a bit wet finger in the air but it's not a crime to try to raise funding via KS if he doesn't have the funds. He was a therapist for many years, a linear revenue stream, so prolly had to commit what limited funds he had to preliminary set up for merchandise, operational costs, contracts etc.

Seems a few of the early pioneers made a killing selling out but not Chris and his ex wife. Their bikes were designed and built to a very high standard and that's why their legacy lives on. The market is full of handmade premium bike makers these days so it remains to be seen if the brand pull is enough. At his age it's understandable that he asked customers to put their hands in pockets - money talks, despite the love we all profess. Sure he didn't want to risk being penniless at his age if the demand wasn't really there. It could be that this limited run of frames and merchandise is the end for them. Who knows ? we could all be embroiled in WWIII sooner or later anyways...

But, it is 10 days after the Kickstarter campaign ended and he STILL doesn't have a finished frame! He failed!

M-Power":3afwiiya said:
sinnerman":3afwiiya said:

He used family money to start BITD and not his own, and then he sold out in the very early 90s before the others for a very tidy Sum. How did he not make a killing....?

Im all for wanting to see an old brand back, in favour of high priced Chinese carbon for sure, but I am a realist.

The design and high standard isn't why there is a legacy, (Christ most of the steel here rotted from the inside out...(FACT)...), his legacy is Clever marketing, And in this respect the guys a bloody genius.

Re:

mtbmaniac":xoqx4sot said:
Yo: Basically the same, except vertical dropouts, which are not as modern. Will it have stainless inserts? Frame manufacturing is outsourced, not unlikely to the same Zen. Priced @ $2500.

2.5k are what you are funding the project with, not the price of the frame. It's a donation you get a limited edition frame for as a gift. In my understanding.

I guess retail frames will be less, otherwise he won't sell many more.

mtbmaniac":2m6tmn9c said:
My 2 cents

Vassago Verhauen has 29" wheels, True Temper OX Platinum tubeset, nice trail geo, space for wide tires, stainless steel horizontal dropouts, sliding 142, stainless steel seattube insert, 44/44mm headtube, nice transparent paintjob. Made by Zen and priced sensibly @ $1100.

Never heard of them, have heard of Fat. If they had the rep they would try to sell for the same although I agree that the £2500 figure is not the price of a future production frame.

brocklanders023":nffhhsne said:
mtbmaniac":nffhhsne said:
My 2 cents

Never heard of them, have heard of Fat. If they had the rep they would try to sell for the same although I agree that the £2500 figure is not the price of a future production frame.
They are right up there with BTR. :cool:

Re:

Some harsh but fair words from a tough crowd on RB :LOL:

He used family money to start BITD and not his own, and then he sold out in the very early 90s before the others for a very tidy Sum. How did he not make a killing....?

Like you, I have read a lot from various sources on FCC etc Tbh I don't know where you get the intel that he made a 'killing' from selling out. How much are we talking about here ? The Internet is the best rumour mill ever invented :LOL: That's why people have to be guarded and respectful to all parties historically involved in commercial relationships, no matter how long ago. Pistonheads has a great policy on this.

Generally people get royally screwed over by large predators, as they are in such a weak negotiating position in those situations. I have had enough dealings with VCs and VCTs to know that :facepalm:

Im all for wanting to see an old brand back, in favour of high priced Chinese carbon for sure, but I am a realist.

The design and high standard isn't why there is a legacy, (Christ most of the steel here rotted from the inside out...(FACT)...), his legacy is Clever marketing, And in this respect the guys a bloody genius

Agree with his marketing genius. I have a nice collection of his brochures and he was way ahead of the pack and much copied by others in the industry at the time. I don't know the exact % of rotted steel frames but assuming 18000 of the ~ 20000 frames he ever built were steel, I have only seen maybe ~ 10 replacement seat tube threads on here and Fatcogs/other site retro threads + ~ 5 people loosely stating they junked their steel Fat frame or rode it into the ground as it was beyond repair.

It seems so many want to see him fail miserably, embarrass himself etc. I don't see his business as a failure at all. I frickin love my Fat collection. They all ride so well but differently. I owned and had access to most of the best bikes bitd and well his bikes have 'it' and still do.

I'm personally not a fan of maliciously slating other brands or peoples bikes. If somebody really loves their Raleigh Maverick...whatever....good for them. That being said winding people up and controversy does increase site traffic, so its all good :)

Hope he'll succeed and that the price will come down. At $1100 I am a Yo buyer. A 2015 650b with sliding 142mm in zigzag and pink Pike would match nicely my 10th and sleeved Ti. I'd even order a 29er aquafade in addition, seriously. :)

Back