Fat Chance Kickstarter

al-onestare":3tkwqirj said:
sinnerman":3tkwqirj said:
Have you invested in this kickstarter project?

No. Have you?

A considerable sum, Hence my involvement with the thread, reservations/skeptisim/banter/hopes, and Questions I hoped to be answered.

sinnerman":2a2kac4s said:
A considerable sum, Hence my involvement with the thread, reservations/skeptisim/banter/hopes, and Questions I hoped to be answered.

This might have been useful to know, to give context to your said involvement and clear passion towards the project! Hence my question for us, the avid readers.

It raises another question. Unless I'm mistaken, you have some notable reservations and questions, so why did you put forward a considerable amount? Heart ruling the head? Slice of history? Something else? I'm just curious.

The question for the paying consumer regarding 'anniversary' frames or new projects such as this remains 'why buy'? I'm not at all anti - I think it's great fun to revisit the time capsule and take on board advances made in the sport of riding off road. However what does the consumer get over and above the regular collecting and restoring of an original bike? Typically when we collect/restore/ride most of us have a fixed sense of how the project will feel and ride, limitations and all. We accept those caveats as integral to the romance of the retrobiking experience, making no demands for these period machines to perform like a contemporary model. With the anniversary-style frame then modern standard and capabilities must surely apply (demanded by the price tag) and, if that is the expectation, then the retro-branding serves merely to recall former glories/period memories. This latter effect cannot surely be bettered with a new frame over the restoration of an original?

al-onestare":3dy36prz said:
sinnerman":3dy36prz said:

This might have been useful to know, to give context to your said involvement and clear passion towards the project! Hence my question for us, the avid readers.

It raises another question. Unless I'm mistaken, you have some notable reservations and questions, so why did you put forward a considerable amount? Heart ruling the head? Slice of history? Something else? I'm just curious.

Im certainly intrigued and impressed by the whole kickstarter facility for new business, and really would like to see such a thing succeed with a bicycle company.

I was never a buyer of Chance bitd, and whilst I liked the marketing/image, I always looked a little beyond that, (perhaps my background), hence my choices back then, and route taken with Bontrager and Salsa instead.

He has balls, and doing it this way maybe down to lack of funds, we shall never know, what ever the reason, with backers pulling out, it simply came down to calculated risk, IF we can get an old name back out there im all for it, IF it ends up being a load Hype and little more, then im sure there will be a Que of fashionistas ready to buy on the open market. If it does turn out to be Amazing, then it was worth it.

Only time will tell.

Re:

Will, for a minute there it there I thought I had missed something.

I didn't. Still nothing.

Must keep the faith.

Re: Re:

M-Power":lqdy5lw4 said:
Great to see this go confidently past its funding target

26 frames sold out of 400 offered is not what I would call 'confidently'. Even if you include the 11 deposits then thats only 9% of the target number sold.

Its certainly going to be interesting to see what these frames are going to look like when they get built and who gets the job of building them.

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":212rvc02 said:
M-Power":212rvc02 said:
Great to see this go confidently past its funding target

26 frames sold out of 400 offered is not what I would call 'confidently'. Even if you include the 11 deposits then thats only 9% of the target number sold.

Its certainly going to be interesting to see what these frames are going to look like when they get built and who gets the job of building them.

They must have sold loads of stickers and t-shirts

Back