Fake Chinese bike parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never knowingly bought fake stuff but I do wonder how much 'used but as new' things I've bought on ebay are fake.

Saw the INGRID RD1 Rear Derailleur on there for £80 the other day. Real one retails for 700 euros!

RD1-S-LEGALIZED_01.jpg

My experience of dealing with chinese manufacturing(not fake stuff but original designs)is the first batches are often very much ok. Then when you sign up for the next pallet loads they will do something sneaky like change a material/process/machine shop/etc and what you get is far off the mark compared to the first batches.
They do it to increase profit and even if you do call them out, on the bad lots, and they have to re-make, they are still quids in. It is their thing to try and get away with it which is what you should expect from a whole section of industry built on faking stuff.
It isn't always the case though. Some prefer not to piss off the buyers and will maintain the initial quality and, if you are getting fakes made, some things can be better than what is being copied because they can offer so many custom processes, for so little extra money.

I used to work a high up with ICI in the 90s, their take was that with the Chinese the negotiation never stops - and such "tweaking" to quality etc is simply part of the negotiation process and expected. Understanding this cultural difference, turned it from a potentially frustrating experience to one they simply managed.

Been browsing on everyone's favorite counterfeit bike part website and seen some 'interesting' parts recently....

Fake Renthal and Thomson stems

Fake Hope Cranks and Chainring

Fake Paul Conponenets levers (Have seen fake 'clamper' full brake set also)

Fake 2023 Scott Spark frame 😲

Fake Garbaruk rear Mech cage/pulleys Admit I have bought one of these as a experiment to see if it fits a Zee rear mech. Theres also the other vesrsions for Sram on there. Even comes with Fake Garbaruk branded packaging.

There are also chainrings that look very similar to Garbaruk, along with Fake Sram and Shimano chainrings and fake Sram brake Rotors.

And finally for today Fake Ingrid crankset. These are boutique cranks from Italy normally retailing for about 350eur, re-branded and sold as 'Zeroing'

This was only stuff I came across in the last hour browsing. What other fakery lies in this dark place who knows.....
I couldn’t resist and bought the fake Paul’s brake levers from Aliexpress either for cantis and linear pull brakes. Their finish is stunning, especially the short pull ones. They are so well made that I after the silver ones I bought a set of purple. I wanted to buy also the Paul’s Touring cantilevers but the reviews on Aliexpress are really bad

I couldn’t resist and bought the fake Paul’s brake levers from Aliexpress either for cantis and linear pull brakes. Their finish is stunning, especially the short pull ones. They are so well made that I after the silver ones I bought a set of purple. I wanted to buy also the Paul’s Touring cantilevers but the reviews on Aliexpress are really bad
Yeah I got a pair too, very nice finish, zero play in the lever portion and no gritty threading of the barrel adjuster. Definitely worthwhile if you like the look of Paul's but don't want to pay the absurd prices.

Fancy posting some photos?

I've been tempted by the Klampers but I can't decide if it's bad chat buying fakes of stuff from a relatively smll company. I've interacted with Paul on insta a few times, I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed off if he saw me running fake stuff.

I'm convinced I've fallen foul of fake Shimano parts recently. SPD SL cleats that last about a month & a couple of rear derailleurs that fold at the cage under shifting.

Fancy posting some photos?

I've been tempted by the Klampers but I can't decide if it's bad chat buying fakes of stuff from a relatively smll company. I've interacted with Paul on insta a few times, I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed off if he saw me running fake stuff.
These are the ones I got for around 18 quid
20230922_082242.jpg 20230922_082404.jpg 20230922_140727.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back