EWR Eastern Woods Research frame with BIN medium

rody":3m91kc9x said:
Hey guys,

That's a Grove built small frame, identifiable by the seat binder, single mitered down tube, and rear chainstay dimpling.

Bilenky did not start building for Ken and Jay until 2008, where they had a proto at the Portland NAHBS show.

Considering we only charged Jay 360 bucks for a frame, the seller is a bit optimistic.

The Jen Greene headbadge is nice, though.

cheers,

rody

Thanks for taking a moment to post that, Rody, big help :)

I'll keep this in my watched auctions...perhaps after it doesn't sell the price will come down.

rody":3c8ips2p said:
Hey guys,

That's a Grove built small frame, identifiable by the seat binder, single mitered down tube, and rear chainstay dimpling.

Bilenky did not start building for Ken and Jay until 2008, where they had a proto at the Portland NAHBS show.

Considering we only charged Jay 360 bucks for a frame, the seller is a bit optimistic.

The Jen Greene headbadge is nice, though.

cheers,

rody

So Bilenky wasn't involved at all with first gen frames? I've got a few emails indicating that they were involved with the later early frames, with the Breeze drops, and that Grove and the crew (meaning YOU! ;) :LOL: ) built frames with the Grove water jet drops.

More mystery. I think Neill hit the nail on the head...there must be no solid history on the older EWRs. Some of them lack serial numbers so you can't even gp thatroute to check up on it.

Oh well, mystery is good, I guess. Thanks for the info Rody!

The head tube badge is a nice touch.

utahdog2003":3erz7u3h said:
and that Grove and the crew (meaning YOU! ;) :LOL: ) built frames with the Grove water jet drops......More mystery.

I always thought horizontal water jet cut rear drops was the Grove 'identifier' :?

Rody, when did Bill start making these with water cut drops then? (i have a '94 which was 100% from the 2nd batch (2nd Grove batch? or 2nd EWR batch? , nobody knows :roll: ))

neilll":2hnmwlz6 said:
utahdog2003":2hnmwlz6 said:
and that Grove and the crew (meaning YOU! ;) :LOL: ) built frames with the Grove water jet drops......More mystery.

I always thought horizontal water jet cut rear drops was the Grove 'identifier' :?

Rody, when did Bill start making these with water cut drops then? (i have a '94 which was 100% from the 2nd batch (2nd Grove batch? or 2nd EWR batch? , nobody knows :roll: ))

I agree with Neill...we need the inside scoop! Fire away, Rody! :cool:

Here's the deal,

Jay and crew built a small handfull of bikes in the very beginning, maybe less than 5, if I remember what Ken told me.

Bill built the remaining frames until around 98, when the funding of the frames fell behind and the relationship stalled. The Hairy Eyeball and the E-motion came out of the Centre Hall shop, the Trials bikes were basically rebadged Monty's if I remember correctly.

The EWRs were a basic tig produced item, built in production style as efficiently as possible. No sweet filleted dropouts or seat binders, fast and straight forward.

The water jet cut dropouts were a Grove product used on Grove frames, although a few made their way onto EWRs early on. These were quickly replaced with KGB's on the majority of the frames, as they were cheap, plentiful, and easily tig'd on. The raw frames were then sent to Fresh Frame for painting.

When Ken and Jay decided to start the business back up in late 07, a few local builders were contacted to see about fabrication. Glad to see the business end stay in PA, where the history lies. The guys at Bilenky will treat y'all right.

I've always wanted a HE for myself and someday I'll dig the fixtures out of a certain barn in PA and go at it.

cheers,

rody

Back