Everyone has their Raleigh era, which one were you?

Started off with a Tomahawk then got a Dawes Lightning 5 speed racer. Gradually everyone started to get BMX's and I was left doing stunts on friends Strikas and perfecting my wheelies on the good old Budgie, it's still the only bike I've seen hurled over a tree, twice!
Then followed a Tuff Burner and a few years of using my old fella's Hetchins, another two road bikes before the "Retro" began.

Each came with signature laughs and injuries!!!

Sweet

1st real raleigh was a Grifter,

1st Raleigh MTB was a Maveric followed by others as I worked in a Raleigh bike shop in the early 90's :cool: , Had a Thunder road in green and black with suntour index etc and then had a Dyna-tech Diablo Dx Titanium in Yellow and wierd splattery tubes DX groupo and XT shifters.

Cheers

Stick Legs":23vw57x0 said:
always remember wanting a Record Sprint or a Pirsuit road bike.

Pursuit like this one?
raleigh_pursuit_small.png

OK, probably not the gel seat cover :LOL: That thing had the most uncomfortable saddle ever. Didn't stop me doing quite a lot of miles on it though - I've always fancied another road bike since, but that was the last one I had. Still got it, actually - at least, the frame and some of the bits...

Bikes

Boxer - Grifter - Raleigh Night Burner - Freeway Pro - Haro Freestyle BMX - Raleigh Mustang - Al Carter Elevated Chain Stay MTB - 1993 Rock Lobster - 1998 Specialized Rockhopper - 2006 Specialized S-Works Hard Tail.

Currently own the last 3 :D

First Raleigh was a Tomahawk in the mid to late 70's then
a second hand steel framed three speed tourer a purple
chopper then a gold Panther which was a chopper copy.

After these i had a few burners, always wanted one with
mag wheels but never did get one :( , that has afected
me quite badly as an adult.

Last Raleigh was a bomber in the mid eighties, sold it to
a guy i worked with in my first job for a tenner.

hiya

(it's my first post after just discovering this great little forum)

My dad got me a 2nd hand Striker, repainted, with the rear "pedal back" drum brake that enabled me to do the longest skids out of everyone in the car park... I also remember being insistent that I had real suspension :oops:

Then a Gold Burner, which I snapped the frame on at the downtube/BB.

Finally an original rwhite/black/red Mustang, which I rode forever and everywhere, and is still what i consider my first proper mountain bike.

I've also just found and got working a completely original Record Sprint, which I always fancied. So technically I'm still in my Raleigh period ;)

My first bikewas a raleigh "sun solo" 5 speed racer. I remember the 19" frame being far too big for me (" You'll grow into it lad"). I used to fall of everytime i stopped!!!. Did my cycling proficency on it too ( Remember that?. It was ace, you got to ride your bike around cones in the playground, whilst all the unfortunates were inside doing maths!!!)

I had that bike for years, then I got a raleigh MTB, in 92. I cant remember the name, but it was blue with yellow/ gold flecks (?), which got nicked from Sheffield city centre.

Then, with the insurance money I got an Activator!!! I road that bike into the ground....

The forks were the biggest waste of metal ever....

Raleigh Mini Burner BMX

Raleigh Marauder - the first one (metallic blue / white)

Attachments

• 1984miniburner.jpg
    1984miniburner.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 955
speedplay":3ffrqzbo said:
SLIM":3ffrqzbo said:
one of these first , then onto the chopper

was that the "chipper"??
the chipper was the little brother of the chopper [for younger kids]
same styling but without the gears
I had one when i lived in Newcastle as a kid
Im suprised so many know the chopper but not the chipper

All my early bikes were Raleigh, some new some secondhand:

Bluebird
Striker
Grifter

Always lusted after a Vektar with the built in radio. Anyone rich enough to get one for christmas?

Back