Everyone has their Raleigh era, which one were you?

Had a Raleigh Lizard, then a Team Raleigh replica and graduated to a Raleigh Ravine; my first 'proper' MTB.

The Ravine was in their 'Off Road' range, the top one being the Raleigh Summit. I always lusted after the Summit, but could never afford one :( I know it came with black Rock Shox with yellow or green decals, and LX or XT groupo. A beautiful bike.

Wanted a Bomber but had sensible 3 speed roadster bought for me at christmas and before that single speed Raleigh Roadrunner a 24" wheeled roadster.
Friend had a Maverick when they first came out, I was most envious.
Also had 5spd Raleigh hustler road bike and Massif mtb.
Late 70's early 80's was my fondest Raleigh period.

A those glory days of my childhood when you rode across the land oblivious to the fact that proper off road bikes had yet to be invented as well as good brakes, alloy rims, suspension etc.
All Raleighs back then had steel mudguards that always rattled as you rode, the sound always reminds me of the past.

Cheers

Had an 'RMX' (poor kid's Burner) and was dead jealous of my mate who had a Burner, followed by a 20" wheeled mustang in the Red/Orange/Yellow fade (a la the purple fade 26" version) which I still reckon looked amazing.

After that I defected to Peugeot with a Gould Replica and then I got the Kona...

My first Raleigh (and first 'new' bike) was an orange Commando. My mate had the camouflaged one......lucky git!

2nd hand chopper that i snapped the frame on, Then a bomber, Then many many burners,

Favourite was to get a mini burner and put cw's on it then in summer build a huge ramp at the side of the canal and do back flips, Tabletops etc into the canal.

Favorite bike from growing up though was my Torker 280 with skyway tuff 2's :cool:

1st off was a Raleigh mini-burner, black, yellow pads & yellow mags

I had a Raleigh Mag burner, blue & yellow pads, mag wheels with blue & yellow tyres - awesome.

For some reaosn I stuck a big sticker (which I got from the dentist :oops: ) on the vented plastic saddle?!

wtf was I thinking :roll:

It made way for my 1st Mountain bike - A peuguot Ranger 10 storm. Riser bars, 10 speed. Weighed an absoloute ton

Happy memories.....

I had a strika, it was green, can't remember that much about it.
I do remember my Grandad had a really early Maverick, burgandy with a chrome triangular stem/bar combination. He sold it after a few weeks and went back to a 3 speed, he said it was too quick!!!!

I had a second hand chopper,tomahawk,striker,then 2 differnt coloured Grifters,then a brand new spanking Raleigh Tempest racing bike in gold and brown,was mint,lol

Back