Eroica footwear - cheap alternatives.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I'll start with saying I'm a cheap bastard.

I'm riding Eroica this year and want some shoes that look the part. Now back in the 80's I'd just wear trainers/runners and/or light hiking boots to ride with clips and straps done loosely. I'd love to have some vintage road shoes or vintage reproductions/spirited designs like the Vittoria 1976, but I'm not dropping that kind of $ on another pair of shoes. I've thought of trying to pick up a pair of used bowling shoes as they tend to look the part. I've also toyed with the idea of just getting some comfortable oxfords or something and riding in those. Are those stupid ideas I will regret deeply 80 km into the ride? Should I just get some chuck taylor low rise trainers?

As with at least one other forum member, I wore football (soccer) boots with the studs removed on rides up to 160 miles in the days before I could afford proper cycling shoes for quill pedals and straps. To be fair though, I was much younger back then...

A pair of used bowling shoes with a decent insole should be okay so long as you wear them around a bit first. What you can also do is get a stick on rubber outsole and cut it so that it catches the rear cage of the pedal.

jackosbournesnr":8wazfkby said:
As with at least one other forum member, I wore football (soccer) boots with the studs removed on rides up to 160 miles in the days before I could afford proper cycling shoes for quill pedals and straps. To be fair though, I was much younger back then...

A pair of used bowling shoes with a decent insole should be okay so long as you wear them around a bit first. What you can also do is get a stick on rubber outsole and cut it so that it catches the rear cage of the pedal.

I'd read about the soccer boots - I don't have any old ones to modify - also didn't you find the soles a bit hard/slippery on the pedals and for walking?

I did find them a bit slippery for walking in, but much easier than trying to walk on modern road cleats.

Mine were quite flexible. I can't remember if I had any issues with slipping on the pedals. I don't think so though.

Re:

This depends on the age of bicycle you are riding. In the postwar period; we'll say bicycles of the 40s and 50s, there was little cycling-specific footwear/clothing around (apart from racing) and touring was the popular cycling activity.

Riders wore their normal shoes, you just need take a look at those old British Transport Films.

Jon.

Re:

roadking":32wkp5q3 said:
This depends on the age of bicycle you are riding. In the postwar period; we'll say bicycles of the 40s and 50s, there was little cycling-specific footwear/clothing around (apart from racing) and touring was the popular cycling activity.

Riders wore their normal shoes, you just need take a look at those old British Transport Films.

Jon.

My bike is either a late 70's or very early 80's Sport touring bike so I would think a "racer" would have worn leather shoes with cleats and used clips and straps. Your average joe would have probably worn street shoes like trainers/runners.

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":12v5vdkg said:
roadking":12v5vdkg said:

Jon.

My bike is either a late 70's or very early 80's Sport touring bike so I would think a "racer" would have worn leather shoes with cleats and used clips and straps. Your average joe would have probably worn street shoes like trainers/runners.

Well I got my first proper racing bicycle in the late 70s, a Roberts which I still have, and my first"proper"shoes were Diadoras (which I still have although they are rather snug now - perhaps I should sell them).

My first clipless shoes, Lakes which I still have, I bought at the same time as my first Look pedals in 1987.

Good luck with the shoes.

Jon.

Back