Edge of the road

marge602

Retro Guru
Hi folks. My '92 Dawes Edge(or The Edge, as it was called 20 years ago)is ready to be built. Thought i'd post a few pics before I get started, and will post some during the build too.

I decided to go with the current Dawes decals, as it won't be entirely retro cos I have some modern bits to go on it and wanted to combine retro and modern looks.

Purists look away now, it's also going to be a road bike(hence the name), with 26" slicks and drop bars. I won a set of RX100 8 speed road STI levers on eBay a while back, and always had it in mind they'd be perfect for it.

More pics to come, but I have to wait for the weekend cos it's dark when I get home from work during the week. Arse!

Regards

Marge

Attachments

• PicsArt_1358193536640.jpg
    PicsArt_1358193536640.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 810
  • PicsArt_1358193221709.jpg
    PicsArt_1358193221709.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 810
  • PicsArt_1358193358005.jpg
    PicsArt_1358193358005.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 810
Me too.
I quite fancied doing the same, in white using leather saddle/tape/chain stay guard and tan walls.

The high rise stem just doesnt look great i think, with drops.
Watching this yo be proved wrong.

You going with V's snd travel agents?
Those mich run'r tyre look good slim slicks, black though.

No offended purists so far then! Most of the parts will be black, stem, post, bars and tape, saddle etc. Most of this is down to practicality, as it'll be a winter bike/commuter, but I also think it's possible to have too much white. I've got a pair of Conti Sport Contact 26 x 1.5 with the reflective stripe on the sidewalls, so they're going on it too. Brakes are silver Shimano canti's(Alivio I think). Stem's gonna be a short, high rise job I have kicking around, run upside down. Road bikes with high bars just feel like Choppers to me.....

Marge

Sounding good, simple black n white.
1.5 on an mtb look good.
Looking forward to seeing the inverted stem, speed commuter!

Im no purist, boring, unique bikes, for the rider are the most interesting.

Agreed. That said, I love seeing the retro mtbs on here in as new condition. Was really into the 90's mtb scene, but i've been a roadie now for 10-12 years. Took me a long time to be able to ride full tilt on the drops, and it's not something i'll give up easily. I want the Edge to have a really aggressive ride position, so hopefully it'll work out that way. We'll see. Will post pics when I can

Marge

Awesome frames.
I had drastically modified my 1990 Raw Nerve by march '91 so I don't really understand the fuss that surrounds modifying old bikes. We did it then, and were still doing it now.
:D

My hack in roadie-ish spec in 1992 ;)
004-7.jpg

Back