eBay To Block Sale of E-Bikes

'd8mok's libertarian offshore e-bikes trading co' does have a certain ring to it

Seriously though.. if you go with that company name, i do expect a dividend !

I also wonder if it's due to eBay getting a huge amount of complaints / returns / disputes to handle in addition to the shady nature of many deals.

I've been keen to buy eBike stuff for my wife, but most of the eBay things don't inspire confidence. Buy a wheel secondhand: does the motor work, is the connector compatible, is the cable long enough etc etc etc?

Last edited:
sorry, haven't read the whole thread but my view is anything that restricts these awful hunks of crap is a good thing as far as i am concerned, i hope other websites will follow suit.

We can’t go back now, all the trails have massive gaps and our legs have turned to pipe cleaners

I also wonder if it's due to eBay getting a huge amount of complaints / returns / disputes to handle in addition to the shady nature of many deals.

I've been keen to buy eBike stuff for my wife, but most of the eBay things don't inspire confidence. Buy a wheel secondhand: does the motor work, is the connector compatible, is the cable long enough etc etc etc?

I suspect it about accountability when something goes wrong.

All the new rules which I mentioned before change a lot for online sellers.

If you are a business selling on eBay / Amazon etc you need insurance which has them named on the policy.

So many sellers don’t even realise that they should have it , but also have them named.

When it all goes wrong , eBay will be coming for someone’s house.

sorry, haven't read the whole thread but my view is anything that restricts these awful hunks of crap is a good thing as far as i am concerned, i hope other websites will follow suit.
I agree 100% about the horrid 20" Fat Bikes which weigh 40kgs and the Deliveroo nasties.
All this should get us to a place where the decent ones with Bosch motors etc in the bottom bracket just become another category - and that bike shops then have enough stability in designs to be able to service them profitably.

Having done a tour recently where the wives rode rented ebikes was a revelation and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Back