Ebay Prices

The price at the end of the day is what some one is prepared to pay.
I think some sellers look at the cost of a similar new bike / how much a new frame would cost a go from there.
When i price a bike for sale i look at the sum total of the present value of the parts ie what the market is paying then go a little lower. If its a rebuild / respray you rarely recoup your money unless you got every thing at bargain prices. The sum total of all the parts is often worth more than the whole.

Some of the prices components can fetch never ceases to amaze me .

Early campagnolo rear mech $4,000 :shock: sold for on the bay

ian.allen2":3oapp1x8 said:
FINNEY1973":3oapp1x8 said:
It's one of the nicest looking bikes on ebay at the moment - it's got that wow factor for sure. It's obviously worth decent cash, but I struggle to see the line where a seller picks the price point. I also struggle with certain claims as a means to justify a price. No original box, nor any paperwork saying it's no.1 ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-C- ... 2a33ddee67

For sure it's rare & in A1 condition but surely that should dictate what it's worth, not the fact it may or may nor have no.1 of 500 ...

I have messaged him to see if there is any certificate to show this is number 1 of 500. There are no pictures of a '1 of 500'

Good work, be interested to see the response. I've never seen any individual Campag part numbered, only the boxes, so as there isn't a box then the statement is a bold one. He has some very rare stuff looking at the last picture on the ebay page - no doubt he knows it's rare but still, it needs to be backed up with facts.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
He is not claiming it is the first of 500 just that it is one from just 500.

Montello":xzyyj3uw said:

I guess so, I didn't read it like that initially but it can be "1 of 500" or "1 of only 500" but yes you are probably correct on that one.

FINNEY1973":158oag2z said:
Montello":158oag2z said:

I guess so, I didn't read it like that initially but it can be "1 of 500" or "1 of only 500" but yes you are probably correct on that one.

I agree. I read it as number 1 of 500 as the digit 1 is in the title as opposed to 'one' written. But it does not say 1 of 500 in the description. I have not had a response from him yet. I hope I do. I will let you all know if I do. :)

bagpuss":3ulo7bex said:
The price at the end of the day is what some one is prepared to pay.
I think some sellers look at the cost of a similar new bike / how much a new frame would cost a go from there.
When i price a bike for sale i look at the sum total of the present value of the parts ie what the market is paying then go a little lower. If its a rebuild / respray you rarely recoup your money unless you got every thing at bargain prices. The sum total of all the parts is often worth more than the whole.

Some of the prices components can fetch never ceases to amaze me .

Early campagnolo rear mech $4,000 :shock: sold for on the bay

+1

Unfortunately, parts prices are still high and encourages some to buy bikes and break them. As a general Ebay observation, I think while a lot of BIN's remain high, auction final prices are 15/20% down on a year ago.

I had a reply from the seller today. He said
"There is plenty of documentation & information in regards to Campagnolo Century Finish C Record Parts and their
rarity, the campyonly website is one which you could google and learn what you would need to know about Century items. As to numbered
markings like the 50th group, Campagnolo did not numerate these parts or groups. Much like unicorns, it is common knowledge that in any
case, these parts are very rare, and very much so in NOS condition. Thank You."

It seems that he has no paperwork confirming what he states. Only by looking on the web site your self, is the only way to find anything out.

The only component numbered in the 50th group is the right hand crank on the inside. Just where the crank would rub on the front mech if it is not perfectly set which is why sometimes the serial numbers are damaged.

ian.allen2":2936ot42 said:
I had a reply from the seller today. He said
"There is plenty of documentation & information in regards to Campagnolo Century Finish C Record Parts and their
rarity, the campyonly website is one which you could google and learn what you would need to know about Century items. As to numbered
markings like the 50th group, Campagnolo did not numerate these parts or groups. Much like unicorns, it is common knowledge that in any
case, these parts are very rare, and very much so in NOS condition. Thank You."

It seems that he has no paperwork confirming what he states. Only by looking on the web site your self, is the only way to find anything out.

A very truthful and honest response. I still reckon there is a bit of word play and cunning in the ebay description though, it's a case of the golden rule...read the description properly... and don't do what I did which was to skim over the title and be blinded by the goods on offer!

Cheers for doing that Ian, very helpful.

Back