Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re:

Not your imagination mate although I'm not sure if you can do it with Biopace. Isn't the thought that the actual oval chain ring theory is sound but Shimano just put it in the wrong place? You can buy oval chain rings again now but they are aligned in the correct way.

Re:

I quite like riding with the biopace rings. It does feel a bit easier, there is something about it. Not sure if there’s a huge benefit though. I’m happy to use them on commute or gravel type rides, nothing too strenuous! If if going off road or riding hard i prefer the round rings. Make of that what you will. I like to keep my bikes nice and original though so if it came out of the factory with them then I keep them. I might have some spare black ones if you need them. Let me know if you want any up close photos of a biopace chainset if it helps.

On a side note. Any of you guys based near Halifax?

Re:

The question is one I've seen been asked many a time & I've read through hours of literature on the subject of Biospace elliptic chainrings etc & after all that I'm still no wiser on who's right & who's wrong with their opinions!
The theory of it I can understand... I think!
I understand it that the large radius of the chainring would drive the chain when the cranks are horizontal & the smaller radius would pull the chain when the cranks are vertical?
So when the cranks are horizontal you can pedal more efficiently with the larger radius of the chainring & when the cranks are vertical you get a lower gear due to the smaller radius of the chainring... :facepalm:
I'm thinking the set-up may depend on your own personal preference & the benefit, therefore, may be individually subjective!
When it comes to me assembling my 1989/1990 Saracen Tufftrax I'm gonna have the same dilemma, or I may sack it off & install a round one!
Bedtime reading!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopace
http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

Yeah that's roughly in line with what I remembered. IIRC, some folk recommend turning the rings in relation to their position on the crank, to give the 'working' range a shift. A bit like how some modern oval rings are recommended to tweak on set ups like Cinch (which have more adjustment range 'notches' avaialble for customisation)
Seems that there isn't a definitive answer to this though - I can live with that.

KeepItSteel":1lr2ue9m said:
I can live with that.
I'm asking with your vast knowledge & experience in mind, would you consider changing the Biospace system to a regular 'round' set-up or would you not even consider it?
For me, for example, assembling myTufftrax bearing in mind I intend to try to keep at as much as possible something like original, but I do want to actually ride it regularly.
Cheers
G

I ride biopace rings regularly and have done plenty of miles on them. I quite like them. Doesn't make a huge difference but I feel that (maybe) it makes the pedalling stroke feel more natural. I set them up as per Shimano/original spec. I also ride bikes with normal chainrings.

Basically, don't worry about it! Use what you've got! Try them and if you don't like them sell them.

I wouldn't even consider it an issue, but my retro bikes do get ridden a lot less than my modern.

I don't think you'll notice enough difference for it to be problematic for you, and who knows, maybe you'll like them?
If you're a fan of keeping things original, I'd stick with them.

KeepItSteel":1plu18ve said:
I don't think you'll notice enough difference for it to be problematic for you, and who knows, maybe you'll like them?
If you're a fan of keeping things original, I'd stick with them.
bluetomgold":1plu18ve said:
don't worry about it! Use what you've got! Try them and if you don't like them sell them.

Nice one guys, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it as it should be.. :)
Thanks guys.
G

Hello all,

Some great looking bikes here. I feel the need to get hold of a 1980s Saracen - I'm thinking 1987, 1988 or 1989 - so if there are any out there looking for a home that would fit me at 6'1", then let me know. Based in Surrey.

I always remember the 1989 catalogue - seemed very different and fresh at the time.

Cheers!

sthodgson":lc4n8l1n said:
Hello all,

Some great looking bikes here. I feel the need to get hold of a 1980s Saracen - I'm thinking 1987, 1988 or 1989 - so if there are any out there looking for a home that would fit me at 6'1", then let me know. Based in Surrey.

I always remember the 1989 catalogue - seemed very different and fresh at the time.

Cheers!

You looking for a complete bike or one to build :?:

Back