Early Muddyfox Lovers Anonynmous

Jamis Diablo":1wzknddr said:
Here is mine, picked it up this week.
In such a great condition!

That is lovely! :D Has it been restored? It looks superb.

Its still a bit of a unicorn bike for me - that's the first one I've seen for a long time which is my size and not a wreck!

Cheers,
Andrew

Cheers, I really love it too.
It hasn't been restored, it is just barely used and very well stored all these years.
All original except for tires and saddle.
The paint has a golden flake in it, I have to clean it good so that will come out better.
And it fits me like a glove.
No need to say I'm very pleased :)

Re:

That really is stunning. I remember watching one in similar nick a year or two ago - bigger (my size) - on eBay and thinking I was in with a chance. Went for over £300! And well worth it imho. Have you seen the Japanese Araya catalogues online?

Hi
Thought you guys might appreciate my old used abused ridden uphill and down dale,built and rebuilt 24yr old Muddy Rat Ali. Used to ride it hard but now its daily stop getting old and fat ride and demoted to tarmac terrorism. Control Tech, Odyssey, Hope, Flight Titanium, Mavic, Shimano lx/xt, Dia compe, and quite a few earth sky earth sky ouch ambulance bits. Rides awesome but ready for new BB and axle this week :facepalm: And I have no idea how to resize image :roll:
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1280 pixels wide and 0 pixels high. The submitted image is 2048 pixels wide and 1536 pixels high.
Help if you want a pic!

Re: How to identify repainted 1991 Muddyfox

Hello,

Great looking site, which I just found this whilst "Googling" pictures of Muddyfox frames as I am trying to identify which model mine was when it left the factory. Are there any MF experts out there that could maybe help?

I bought the bike from an old work colleague in 1999(ish) who had bought it from a police auction as a stolen/recovered bike. Unfortunately he repainted the frame bright orange and changed the groupset to mainly 96/97 Shimano STX-RC so nothing remains to identify the original MF model.

He told me when I bought it that it was a MF frame and from looking at the pictures on the web it is most definitely a 91 frame as the seat stay joins the seat tube above the top tube (so 91 onwards) but the rear brake cable mount is shorter than shown on most 92 frames. I therefore think I have a 91 Courier Mega, Seeker Mega or Sorcerer Mega but as far as I can tell, the frames are identical (other than colour) with different groupsets.

I can read all but one character of the frame number (which is B10186H ?XXX) but not sure if that helps.

The bike is now fairly tired but since I have a blast cabinet and compressor I plan to repaint/restore the bike, so wanted to see if I could trace the original model, then find the paint code/stickers and search ebay for the correct 91 groupset. I would of course like it to be a Sorcerer as that had the best groupset, but I have no idea how to spray that colour scheme :?

If I cannot identify the frame model, then the alternative will be paint it silver and complete the 97 STX-RC groupset, but that seems a shame.

Any help would be most appreciated and pictures of any specific areas can be taken.

Cheers n beers

Si

HPmuirt":22j02bmc said:
Hello,

Great looking site, which I just found this whilst "Googling" pictures of Muddyfox frames as I am trying to identify which model mine was when it left the factory. Are there any MF experts out there that could maybe help?

I bought the bike from an old work colleague in 1999(ish) who had bought it from a police auction as a stolen/recovered bike. Unfortunately he repainted the frame bright orange and changed the groupset to mainly 96/97 Shimano STX-RC so nothing remains to identify the original MF model.

He told me when I bought it that it was a MF frame and from looking at the pictures on the web it is most definitely a 91 frame as the seat stay joins the seat tube above the top tube (so 91 onwards) but the rear brake cable mount is shorter than shown on most 92 frames. I therefore think I have a 91 Courier Mega, Seeker Mega or Sorcerer Mega but as far as I can tell, the frames are identical (other than colour) with different groupsets.

I can read all but one character of the frame number (which is B10186H ?XXX) but not sure if that helps.

The bike is now fairly tired but since I have a blast cabinet and compressor I plan to repaint/restore the bike, so wanted to see if I could trace the original model, then find the paint code/stickers and search ebay for the correct 91 groupset. I would of course like it to be a Sorcerer as that had the best groupset, but I have no idea how to spray that colour scheme :?

If I cannot identify the frame model, then the alternative will be paint it silver and complete the 97 STX-RC groupset, but that seems a shame.

Any help would be most appreciated and pictures of any specific areas can be taken.

Cheers n beers

Si

Hi,

I have a 91 sorcerer mega and used to have a 91 seeker mega and can confirm that they are indeed the same frames, have a look in my build thread for some more close up pictures. From what I have seen the courier mega frame is slightly different but follows a similar design. They are nice comfortable frames that are well proportioned and I ride mine regularly.

Carl

drcarlos":1kqoa0zx said:
Hi,

I have a 91 sorcerer mega and used to have a 91 seeker mega and can confirm that they are indeed the same frames, have a look in my build thread for some more close up pictures. From what I have seen the courier mega frame is slightly different but follows a similar design. They are nice comfortable frames that are well proportioned and I ride mine regularly.

Carl
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of the frames being the same. I guess that means that unless the frame number can be used to identify the model, I will never know.

I agree, nicely proportioned bike, which I have used as an offroad hack for the last 15 years and although it cannot touch my Giant Anthem X on the really gnarly stuff, I feel it is now time to restore it back to its former glory and stop abusing it.

So now the question is what colour? I can't spray the Sorcerer pattern, so I guess that means Seeker, but not sure what the colour is and if I like it, so I can feel a non-original silver coming on :(

Si

Back