Early 90s Raleigh Frames

TheDocmeister

Dirt Disciple
I’ve just picked up an early 90s Raleigh Record Sprint - the unloved blacked out version… It cost me £20 and although in need of a little tlc and some bar tape it rides really nicely. I’ll post pics on a project thread later.
Question is, what are opinions on the (not) Sakae 501 frames? I don’t see any real mention of them hereabouts - or anywhere tbh.
OK so 501 tubing isn’t the lightest, but this one seems nicely finished and is light enough for a pub bike or for longer Sunday cycle track runs with my 10yr old.
Is it just that they signify the end in sight of Nottingham built bikes? Just too new to be of significant interest? Maybe they just didn’t sell a lot of them?
Answers on a postcard!

Last edited:
I’ve just picked up an early 90s Raleigh Record Sprint - the unloved blacked out version… It cost me £20 and although in need of a little tlc and some bar tape it rides really nicely. I’ll post pics on a project thread later.
Question is, what are opinions on the Sakae 501 frames? I don’t see any real mention of them hereabouts - or anywhere tbh.
OK so 501 tubing isn’t the lightest, but this one seems nicely finished and is light enough for a pub bike or for longer Sunday cycle track runs with my 10yr old.
Is it just that they signify the end in sight of Nottingham built bikes? Just too new to be of significant interest? Maybe they just didn’t sell a lot of them?
Answers on a postcard!
What's does a Raleigh Sakae frame look like, I've not seen one before, post some photos of the frame/ bike 👍

As far as I can make out they were used on various “almost lightweight” frames - the top end of the standard range sort of thing? - in the early nineties I’m assuming. Rear brake cable running inside the top tube is the first thing I noticed.
Hopefully be over to my bike today, so will get a pic then. Meanwhile here’s one stolen from eBay…

Attachments

• IMG_6095.png
    IMG_6095.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I had a 80s/90s (?) lurid green and black Raleigh 501 tubed bike which I got for £15 to commute to work and it rode really well. After I stopped working there, I used it for club rides before passing it on to a friend for his commute.
Not a competition bike, but better than I was expecting. It helped that the top tube was longer than the seat tube, which suits me

As far as I can make out they were used on various “almost lightweight” frames - the top end of the standard range sort of thing? - in the early nineties I’m assuming. Rear brake cable running inside the top tube is the first thing I noticed.
Hopefully be over to my bike today, so will get a pic then. Meanwhile here’s one stolen from eBay…
The frame has no connection with the Japanese SR Sakae Ringyo company, it was built in Nottingham by Raleigh.

That's fair enough, perhaps explains why there is very little info when Googling them! Never believe all you read online...
Was this just a new line in frames that were being made in Nottingham - I'm thinking like the earlier aero tubed frames? My interest was only sparked after purchasing the Record Sprint and noticing the internal cable run, then discovering the changing specs for that model. On closer inspection it is very different from the eighties versions.

That's fair enough, perhaps explains why there is very little info when Googling them! Never believe all you read online...
Was this just a new line in frames that were being made in Nottingham - I'm thinking like the earlier aero tubed frames? My interest was only sparked after purchasing the Record Sprint and noticing the internal cable run, then discovering the changing specs for that model. On closer inspection it is very different from the eighties versions.
Guess the confusion is that it has some SR Sakae components...chainset and possibly seat post bars & stem.

Record Sprint showing in the 91 catalogue.

Screenshot_20240816-175818.png

Yup, definitely some SR components on it - at very least the handlebars and maybe stem. I didn’t make it across today, but will have a proper look over the weekend.
It was searching online for info that I came across someone referring to a “Sakae” built frame, but I had noticed a built in Nottingham sticker on the seat tube. I thought I’d found a catalogue in English too, but can’t seem to locate it again. That may give (a little!) more info. I’ll need to stay off the Rioja for this search…

I had one of these as a youth. Solid mid-range stuff. Not fancy, but not gas pipe either.

Reynolds 501 is great for commuters, as its thicker walls (than 531, for example) mean that they handle knocks better, and the thicker tubes make the frames stiffer, if you want to put a rack on it, or if you are of the larger build.

These days, compared to modern aluminium and carbon, the weight difference between older steel tubesets is negligible - 250g or so - neither 501 nor 531 are competitive in that regard.

Back